MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: OVH spam registrations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lately I've had a HUGE problem with spam registrations from IP addresses mainly from within OVH's network, I've blocked around 300 IPs, along with a few blocks, and I still am getting around 8 online at a time. I'm fortunate that my project is still in the beginning stages and that it's easy for me to manage right now. Just a note, random other non OVH IPs are also doing it, so it's definitely a bot net of some kind, mostly compiled of compromised OVH servers.

I've just fired off an abuse complaint to OVH, will keep this updated as I get a response, if anyone interested.
Update: 2 days have passed, and no response from their abuse department.
Yeah, from what I hear OVH's abuse department tends to be pretty unresponsive to a lot of things
OVH is great because they could care less until you bring legality into the picture. Setup recaptcha if you don't have that already else include other types of spam prevention.
(2014-02-28, 03:24 AM)iHydra Wrote: [ -> ]OVH is great because they could care less until you bring legality into the picture. Setup recaptcha if you don't have that already else include other types of spam prevention.
Set more anti-spam up yesterday. It is frustrating that such a large hosting company allows it, I mean they certainly don't do anything against it. Looks like half of their data centers population of servers are used by criminals.
Yeah, they provide very cheap servers and have a lax abuse department (also don't forget the part where their default server configuration allowed for their servers to take part in NTP reflection attacks). Obviously that is going to attract a lot of questionable business. I'd also imagine they receive a lot of noise in their abuse inbox given the large number of seedbox providers that use their network (coming from automated 'anti-piracy' systems and such).
They are (honestly) one of the worst server providers I can think off as far as abuse response goes. They never reply.

We, as a server host, contact them regularly with SPAMmers they have on their network get bugger all of a response.

Browse this forum for methods to stop SPAM. They're plenty Smile
(2014-03-01, 07:37 PM)Conor C. Wrote: [ -> ]They are (honestly) one of the worst server providers I can think off as far as abuse response goes. They never reply.

We, as a server host, contact them regularly with SPAMmers they have on their network get bugger all of a response.

Browse this forum for methods to stop SPAM. They're plenty Smile
The bot intelligence is pretty low, seeing as there's over 15 bots at all times that are trying. I started to just deny all of their IPs from Nginx, but after a while I realized they literally had thousands of IPs, so I just made sure they couldn't register.
http://bgp.he.net/AS16276#_prefixes contains most of OVH's IP ranges
Get Keycaptcha mate. It will get down spam issues a lot.
Pages: 1 2