MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Legal notice / Cookies in Europe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello Wink

i am just building up a myBB board for a game community. (non commercial)
As the server and me living in austria, i contacted a lawyer so i don't do anything wrong and may get into trouble with it. Lawyers here are pretty active the last years punishing people for making things wrong like using pictures from internet, or forgetting legal information.

As by our countries law, i need a legal notice on the board. The lawyer said, even if its not commercial and i dont plan to make any cash with it (which i do not), another lawyer may see it in a way that the board itself is an advertisment for the game itself, and therefore its commercial by our countries law, as people may buy the game because they like to join us. I know, it not only sounds dumb to me, but thats how it is.

Anyway, i searched for a way in the settings (still need to learn most of it), where i can enter the legal notice. (real name, adress and email)
But i found only email.
Plus, i don't want this information on the main page, a link leading to a legal notice page would be enough.

So is there any plugin that i could use for this or where do i do it at best ?

Second problem, the EU Cookie law.
See thread: http://community.mybb.com/thread-119256-page-4.html
The plugin mentioned there does not exist anymore, and i must add, im pretty bad at understanding laws. Could anyone tell me what i need to do for this ?
I saw there are cookie settings in "General Configuration", but to what do i need to set them to be in par with the law ?
Or is there an plugin i need ? (cant find any when seaching for cookie at plugins)

Thanks
Here's the plugin: https://github.com/MattRogowski/Cookie-Law

It should handle everything you need.
much thanks Nathan, i will install that later Wink

Thread could be closed now, for my legal notice question i found a solution meanwhile:
i will write a simple HTML file with the legal notice, and changed the "Contact Us" link in settings to "legalnotice.html" Wink

edit:
btw, i have to say, this software is soo great Smile some years ago i was super moderator in a vBulletin board, and i never expected until now that there is free software meanwhile that is nearly on par with vBulletin. So much i can setup how i like it, just great Wink
Expect a small donation soon from me ^^

edit2:
em, how can i donate ? gives me an error on the about page "This recipient is currently unable to receive money" ?
What are you talking about MYBB only uses cookies for login purposes it's cool!

How come MYBB.com doesn't have this message! Do I have to add it to my forum??????
Quote:edit2:
em, how can i donate ? gives me an error on the about page "This recipient is currently unable to receive money" ?

We currently cannot accept donations due to issues with PayPal. Hopefully in the near future we should get this sorted out. Smile

Quote:What are you talking about MYBB only uses cookies for login purposes it's cool!

That's incorrect. There are many places MyBB uses cookies.

Quote:How come MYBB.com doesn't have this message! Do I have to add it to my forum??????

You'll need to contact a lawyer if you want legal advice.
(2014-03-04, 04:33 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]How come MYBB.com doesn't have this message!

It's based in the USA, while cookie law is European (or rather for European Union countries), as the thread title states too.

(2014-03-04, 04:33 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]Do I have to add it to my forum?

You can find info for Spain here: http://cookiepedia.co.uk/cookie-laws-across-europe So yes, you ought to add it, even though this law is kinda pointless in my opinion (users just click it away, doesn't really have impact on anything except annoyance...). Otherwise you may be fined.

About Matt Rogowski's plugin - I heard there are problems with it. If someone rejects cookies he can see hidden bases, for instance. As far as I know this line is a culprit: unset($mybb->user); (why would it be even needed?)
Does the message announcing use of cookies have to be on top of the screen by the law?
I guess you didn't read the link I posted, because it is stated there.. Just look for Spain.
Got it D666 thanks
(2014-03-04, 04:58 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:edit2:

We currently cannot accept donations due to issues with PayPal. Hopefully in the near future we should get this sorted out. Smile

Thats too bad Sad
If you think about it by luck, reply here when its working again Wink i get email notification then
Pages: 1 2