MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My copy of MyBB1.6.12 will not work with PHP4, but is supposed to. How do I fix that?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I am attempting to move my board to a new server and once I get the files and database all moved over, I see just white pages (with no source code if I attempt to view the source in my browser)

When I test and put in the wrong sql password, I get the usual MyBB sql error messages about not being able to connect. When I go back to using the correct password, it just shows me a white page with no error message to investigate.

What I tried so far to fix it: I tried going into my settings.php file and I changed both of the GZip options to "0" to see if that helps because a search I did suggested maybe it was a GZip issue. When I save the settings.php file with GZip set to "0" it makes no difference.

What else might this be? What else can I try adjusting to get this to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been struggling with this for days now.

I am on the latest MyBB upgrade.

UPDATE since yesterday: Got it working when reverting the server back to PHP3.

This version of MyBB(1.6.12) works with PHP4 for other boards, but on MY board PHP4 breaks the board... how do I troubleshoot this and fix it manually? Is there I file I can download and manually add? Perhaps some coding I can change by hand? What do I look at...?
A white page usually indicates a 500 internal server error. Check your error logs for more information.
Hi Nathan,

The only time it logs an error is when I go out of my way to use the wrong configuration, which pulls up the MyBB sql error on my screen and then the cPanel's error log tells me I was refused.

When I use the correct password and I get the white screens, no logs are recorded in the error log. What would this suggest is happening?
Try viewing the source of the page, is there anything there? If it's showing a white page, there's more than likely an error logged somewhere. Can you please provide your site URL?
Thank you for the suggestions, Rymax, but there was no source displayed and there were no errors logged as mentioned earlier.

Upon further investigation we figured out it was the PHP version. Even though I'm on the latest version of MyBB, the PHP5.4 was causing the error somehow?

As soon as we downgraded the server side to PHP5.3, the site worked perfectly! Smile

Now, this brings up an issue... I know I read that the current MyBB install is supposed to work fine with the newest PHP... so, how can I look into this further? What file can I look at, or possibly replace, to get PHP5.4 accepted on MyBB? Is it possible there's a file missing or something, even though I am on the latest MyBB?

Since this is a slightly "new" issue compared to what this post was about, should I just make a new thread about it or keep updating this thread? Please advise...

Thanks
I'm using PHP 5.4.4 and it works fine as it should, PHP 5.4 isn't a new thing. I used PHP 5.5 a while a while ago and it worked fine as I remember, SMF (another forum software) gave be trouble though.
Right, thank you, but how do I investigate what might be wrong or missing in my own version of MyBB 1.6.12?

I am aware it SHOULD work, and that others are having no trouble on their boards... I just don't know how to troubleshoot the issue on my own copy?
It is possible that you're missing a required module or something. You'll need to find/read through your PHP error logs to find out the cause.
When I check the error logs after getting a white screen, no errors are logged.

Does anyone know what to look at or add/replace in MyBB 1.6.12 to get it working with PHP4 and up? Everybody I talked to is saying it SHOULD have worked already, but it doesn't... I'm guessing somewhere in the last 2 or 3 MyBB version updates, some kind of file got added or changed to make it accept PHP4 and up... but maybe over the months as I upgraded, that file somehow didn't get updated? How do I troubleshoot this? Does anyone know what file/module/etc is missing and how to add it in by hand? Or maybe a file that got corrupted? Where do I look?
MyBB 1.6.12 supports PHP 5.1.0 to PHP 5.5.10 (The latest version).
To check that all the files have been uploaded correctly, look at ACP>Tools & Maintenance>File Verification and see if anything isn't up-to-date.
It could also be a plugin causing problems. Deactivate all of them and re-enable them one-by-one until you find the one causing the problem (Also check all the others are up-to-date while you're doing it).
Pages: 1 2