MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Regular auto-save messages before publish them
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A real-time message checking and temporary save them, so in case of accidentaly closing the posting window, closing / crashing browser, crashing system, or power breaks, you will have the possibility to recover and continue your publication.
Great.
+1
XenForo does that, it is useful and prevents frustration.
Auto-save means more AJAX calls which rely on JavaScript and take up bandwidth. I'm OK with using JavaScript for this because it adds functionality while letting those with JavaScript disabled to still submit content (they just won't be protected with auto-save). Frequency of Auto-save should be configurable by admin to create a balance between resource use and customer experience.

Technical issues of Auto-save:
* Lost IDs (an ID is generated on first auto-save, which cannot be reused, even if the draft is deleted)
* New fields on existing post, threads, etc, tables (one field to indicate this is a draft, another with a timestamp of the last auto-save)
* A task needs to delete abandoned drafts
Are we still seriously worrying about people who don't have Javascript enabled?
(2014-04-25, 06:56 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Are we still seriously worrying about people who don't have Javascript enabled?

The thought that these people exist makes me sad but they do, so we should.

In this case however, as laie_techie stated, no JS is no problem, the feature will just stop working but basic functionality is maintained.

Disabled JS should never break basic functionality.
couldn't you use JS and base64 to encode and then cookie to store the content every 10 minutes for 10 minutes at a time? Then upon finishing a new post or draft drop the cookie.

You can put 4kb into a cookie and that is a pretty good amount of text in ASCII, even like 1000 4-byte characters in UTF-8 but not all are 3 byte.

I would think that it would be good for most users/sites and its all client side.
(2014-04-25, 08:02 PM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-25, 06:56 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Are we still seriously worrying about people who don't have Javascript enabled?

The thought that these people exist makes me sad but they do, so we should.

Some people use IE6 but we're generally smart enough to ignore them.
(2014-04-25, 08:54 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]couldn't you use JS and base64 to encode and then cookie to store the content every 10 minutes for 10 minutes at a time? Then upon finishing a new post or draft drop the cookie.

You can put 4kb into a cookie and that is a pretty good amount of text in ASCII, even like 1000 4-byte characters in UTF-8 but not all are 3 byte.

I would think that it would be good for most users/sites and its all client side.

+1. Requires no database schema changes which is nice. Very simple to implement. Might also be possible to plug in as an add-on to the new editor (if it has such a concept as add-ons and a decent API...).

If cookies aren't enough, there's also local storage (5MB in Firefox/Chrome/Opera, 10MB in IE), but then you're limiting yourself browser wise even further.
local storage is okay but at least my cookie suggestion is mobile device compatible and platform independent
Pages: 1 2