MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Good Performance + Optimization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi there! We're transferring a forum to MyBB that has almost a million posts (we purged a good few as well). In our test run we converted from XenForo to SMF then from SMF to MyBB, this process caused us to lose avatars, groups, and our banned lists. But, we don't mind readding those manually. But, we were absolutely pleased to see the database size drop from 3.1GiB down to 1.1 GiB

I'm wondering if you guys have any tips to keeping this forum running fast/smooth. We usually have around 300 online. We're using Linode. We recently lost our database guy and none of us are geniuses at it, so we're going to a VPS with cPanel to just have this site alone. We also have CloudFlare on our old site as well.

Any tips would be appreciated and any advice for keeping this thing fast and not bogged down. Thanks!
May I gewt The Link?
The fastest would be limiting amount of querys being run aka plugins. Also using only javascript and such in certin places, a great example of this is:

Running pm notifications all over the forum. It takes time to get and run query. When really, all you need is in index.

Next, try and get cloudfire running on your new site. That way you can be secure (or at least more protected) from ddosing. Which takes a heavy toll on resources. Another great idea, is postbit buttons.

It's 10x better to use css based buttons over images, due too the fact that the user has to get image and store. Which increases image load.
Ace700: Thank you! I saw the CloudFlare fix for visitor IPs I bookmarked that place to keep track of it. I also read in searching to disable forum jump so I'll be doing that and enabling GZIP. Thanks I'll keep that in mind. We're actually fond of text links like [reply] [edit] etc over images.

Ali, we're not finished converting yet. We're running tests right now Smile Have a MyBBCentral account/subscription. Planning to get MyBBSource. Any other good places people recommend?
(2014-06-13, 02:52 AM)ashkir Wrote: [ -> ]Any other good places people recommend?

http://forums.mybb-plugins.com if you'd like to have a credits system or you're in need of custom plugins.
- Use nginx (if you have WHM/Cpanel then install apachebooster
- convert to mariadb
- convert heavily used tables to Innodb (if you switched to mariadb you will need v10 rather than 5.5) These tabls are usually tables that are often read and written to, such as sessions, posts etc. The reason for this is that myIsam uses table level locking so everytime there is a write the entire table is locked. This may only be for a fraction of a second, but it adds up the busier you are, innodb uses row level locking which means only the row being changed is locked.
-reduce queries as much as possible, be careful of the plugins you use, make sure you reduce the queries where you can. I loathe opening up plugins to see single queries for something like select count(*) then a grab on that data when it could have been achieved in a single query with a join.

Basically the less round trips you make to the DB the better,
I read somewhere if you convert mybb_posts to innodb you need to remove something from mybb_threads is this true at all?

I'm thinking if I do convert them to innodb it'd be best for mybb_posts and mybb_users switched to that?

[Image: Mk2P7Q7l.png]
If your MYSQL version is up to date, Innodb will still support fulltext index. I can help you with it if you like.
Thanks dragonexpert. I'll make the swap over! I added you on skype and will be asking you questions when we swap the actual database over our test one.

-- -- --

We're using Arvixe as a VPS as cPanel is a want for most of the staff team (as we're not good with server cores). If anyone knows of a guide for optimal mybb settings please let us know. ^_^

-- -- --

Okay. MySQL won't let the swap to innodb happen for mybb_posts and mybb_users for our giant 1GiB+ table.
#1214 - The used table type doesn't support FULLTEXT indexes 
MySQL version is 5.5 right now. We're using a cPanel VPS and PHP 5.4.24 MySQL 5.5.36-cll
If you're on standar MyBB without plugins, then VPS with at least 1GB RAM (exc.panel) would be sufficient. Hopefully you can choose the plugin wisely. Or try to mention it here.. As a noob on MyBB, try not to use plugin as least 1 year until you're expert in MyBB.

And if you're above 1.5 millions post, then consider using innoDB table..

I have forum twice bigger than you and so many plugin with Dedicated server above 100-200 online user only tooks 0.5-1.5 CPU load..
Pages: 1 2 3