MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Edit Reputation Comment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,
I think it's good if admin and other moderators can edit Reputation Comments.
Yes and no.

Big NO for Poland-based forums as Polish admin/mods will edit/delete negative reputation points and add positive ones. All this only to fool users they are useful to others.

Yes to the rest of the world.....
(2014-06-18, 11:51 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]Yes and no.

Big NO for Poland-based forums as Polish admin/mods will edit/delete negative reputation points and add positive ones. All this only to fool users they are useful to others.

That isn't specific to Poland, that's only specific to inexperienced, and immature administrators. A good admin should rarely modify user content, if it's not abiding by the rules it's much better to delete it/get it out of view of the public than to modify the user content. That's just a general rule of thumb. MyBB isn't designed around fool-proofing the software so admins can't troll/do idiotic things. On topic, I don't really see the need, I've never been in a position where I really needed to edit a users reputation, if it's abuse of the reputation system I'd simply delete it.
I originally adapted the reputation system as a sort of "points" system for my forum before eventually writing my own plugin for it. One of the things that I added to the reputation system was the ability for administrators and moderators to edit the comment. It made sense in the context of my board, but I think it would be a useful tool on regular boards as well. There's nothing more awkward than awarding somebody reputation and accidentally making a spelling mistake in the comment section. If you trust your members enough to be able to use the reputation system at all, you should trust them just as much to be able to make edits when necessary.

So yes, this would be a useful feature to add.
(2014-06-18, 11:51 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]Yes and no.

Can't limit too one group. In some gaming sites their are people who have high egos and when disproved rage ban people (such as gaming forums).
(2014-06-18, 12:09 PM)Rymax99 Wrote: [ -> ]That isn't specific to Poland, that's only specific to inexperienced, and immature administrators. A good admin should rarely modify user content, if it's not abiding by the rules it's much better to delete it/get it out of view of the public than to modify the user content. That's just a general rule of thumb. MyBB isn't designed around fool-proofing the software so admins can't troll/do idiotic things. On topic, I don't really see the need, I've never been in a position where I really needed to edit a users reputation, if it's abuse of the reputation system I'd simply delete it.
If you browsed through Poland-based forums you would quickly find that 99% of them has either inexperienced and/or immature, or sometimes both, admins/mods. Its big shame but its true. Thats why I said what I said......I am not saying that there are no serious forums in Poland, of course there are some, but still these are minority......
Its really big shame both for me (as Im from Poland and Im tightly professionally connected with international IT sector) and our country as a whole....

As of adding possibility to edit reputation I am still somewhere between yes and no.....
Soft delete functionality should be added here if it is not already...
(2014-06-18, 02:58 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Soft delete functionality should be added here if it is not already...
what this has to do with reputation editing tool/possibility?
(2014-06-20, 08:08 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-18, 02:58 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Soft delete functionality should be added here if it is not already...

I'm pretty sure he is saying that you should be able to "Soft Delete" reputation if that hasn't been added to reputation yet. I think it makes sense to request it with editing reputation.
(2014-06-20, 08:08 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't believe that you should edit reputation comments, I don't mind it being added though. You either leave them there or delete them. However soft delete has been added in 1.8 and I think that any place that has delete functionality should have soft delete functionality.
Pages: 1 2 3