MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why switch to 1.8?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was looking at an old blog post about 1.8 (2012)... And to be honest I do not see much interesting there...

Better spam control - I have near zero spam already (perhaps 2 spam posts in the last year)

Trash can - There is already an excellent undelete plugin that works nearly flawlessly

Avatars show correctly - They already show fine

Gravatar support - Umm...

The only remotely interesting things I see about it is jQuery, but the site already runs quite fast, and the ability to change colors easily.

What am I missing here?
Mybb 1.6 will stop receiving support and updates after a while. It's advised you keep up to date with the latest versions of MyBB.

1.8 does bring some other niceties including minor performance improvements and some added features for plugin developers (which I will definitely be utilising and will be dropping 1.6 support for MyAlerts and my other plugins after a while).
(2014-07-01, 06:36 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Mybb 1.6 will stop receiving support and updates after a while. It's advised you keep up to date with the latest versions of MyBB.

1.8 does bring some other niceties including minor performance improvements and some added features for plugin developers (which I will definitely be utilising and will be dropping 1.6 support for MyAlerts and my other plugins after a while).

i agree with Euan T
I'm actually using MyBB 1.8 on my localhost and I love it.
It's look much better and professional than 1.6. I can't wait to make see it released and installed on my forum.
I feel MyBB 1.8 is a great step towards putting MyBB so far in front of any other free forum software alternative, it's modernizing it, optimizing it, and expanding existing features.

I don't know about others, but MyBB 1.8 will completely minimize my use of plugins down to maybe 1 or 2, from around 5. I used Gravatar, contact (by MyBBCentral), GoodBye spammer, registration time (spam control), and StopForumSpam. All of those except StopForumSpam are integrated into 1.8 except StopForumSpam. By adding the popular, widely used plugins/plugin concepts, it makes the life of the administrator easier - you don't have to worry about plugin security issues, you don't have to worry about plugin incompatibilities with new versions of MyBB, etc.

What isn't there to like? MyBB at its current state isn't very modern, and there are certainly points on which it can improve, thus MyBB 1.8. I'm sure that the end users which participate on MyBB boars will appreciate the features of 1.8, too. It's a big step forward for MyBB.
Many new features yiu an check out int the two release blog posts of 1.8 beta 1 & 2.

Now let me ask you, why to stay with a outdated version? 1.6 will not be supported for long after 1.8 is released.
For starters it is up to you. But what are the negatives of updating to a newer, more stable software that allows you to get rid of some third party plugins? There are some nice new features and a lot of bug fixes so why stay with the old one?
if you install 1.8 beta on local host and see some of 1.8 future's.
so that can change your mind.
Once 1.8 releases, any plugins I develop that aren't private will be only for 1.8. They may or may not work with the 1.6 series.
Draft posts, Edit Reason, slightly better looking theme, performance enhancements, soft delete, jquery, wysiwyg, free. There is nothing that makes it worse than Mybb 1.6. Even if it isn't a complete modernization of mybb, it does contain a lot of minor enhancements that I think a lot of people on most forums would enjoy. I'd take any enhancement I can that makes my forum even slightly better for free!

Why not update?
Pages: 1 2