MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Warning message if new reply is posted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2014-07-10, 07:28 AM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Scaled up with thousands of users, it has the potential to be quite exhaustive...
It would also dam you if your on free hosting (the excessive load may cause your host to disable your account).

I agree with this
Must I repeat the last part of my post?
(2014-07-11, 05:03 AM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]... Besides, there is more than one way to notify a user of new posts. You could catch it when they click "Post Reply" and/or "Preview Post" instead of querying the database every few seconds.
This could be handled more like on demand (such as onClick or $_POST) instead of, for lack of a better description, a "background" process via AJAX.

I guess no one ever reads the entire post though and I guess I'm the only one going to fight for forward thinking on this topic.
Yes, it would not be resources hungry, just think about it!

here is the link for the plugin:
http://community.mybb.com/thread-85847.html
Actually, take a look at SMF's implementation, it doesn't use AJAX/make additional requests, instead when you post a reply and someone else also has it will take you back to the preview post page and show a message along the lines of "Since you started typing your reply there have been new replies to this thread, you may wish to review your post."
Easiest way I can think of implementing it is to add a hidden field to the new reply form that contains the most recent PID, on submit check if there is a newer post in the thread than that PID, if there is show a message about it.
(2014-07-13, 11:01 AM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]Easiest way I can think of implementing it is to add a hidden field to the new reply form that contains the most recent PID, on submit check if there is a newer post in the thread than that PID, if there is show a message about it.

If using this method, dateline should be used not PID as I could save a draft before the last post was posted and then post my reply (a smaller PID but posted after).

We may consider this suggestion if someone is willing to submit a Pull Request. If submitting a Pull Request they may choose any method of implementation but it must be disabled by default.
(2014-07-13, 12:10 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]We may consider this suggestion if someone is willing to submit a Pull Request. If submitting a Pull Request they may choose any method of implementation but it must be disabled by default.

personally should accept only "dateline" method.
is there anyone who can look at this please?
(2014-07-13, 01:22 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-13, 12:10 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]We may consider this suggestion if someone is willing to submit a Pull Request. If submitting a Pull Request they may choose any method of implementation but it must be disabled by default.

personally should accept only "dateline" method.

When I said "may choose any method" I meant that they could decide on AJAX requests or the check on reply. Sorry if that was unclear. But I think the best method for implementation is checking for new posts when the user presses the post button.
(2014-07-13, 02:18 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]best method for implementation is checking for new posts when the user presses the post button.

I also think the same thing.
but for me has one problem to implement this.
how will determine which is last post (pid or dateline) when user accessed the topic?
i see here plugin "While you were typing" and plugin use something $_SESSION['page_access_time'], i can not find this as a good solution.

Ps. I am not working in this PR.
I agree with jordan
Pages: 1 2 3