MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editing Report Reasons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I agree with Adriano - reasons should be depending on content. Don't know if it will get into 1.8.x though.
@fxzt - plugins are better solution for some features - why? easier to update it and maintain... core mybb should have only must have features and be security... more features -> more possible security issues.
(2014-08-03, 11:13 PM)fxzt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-03, 06:18 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]And add an option for different color for each reason Wink

@fxzt - you can help and send a pull request with this feature, feel free to do this Wink it is easy to complain! Smile

I have tried posting suggestions on the MyBB forum like I am supposed to. Seven of my eight suggestions don't have a reply from MyBB developers. I think the developers hope that we develop plugins ourselves or wait 6-24 months for them to add the features people want in core. OP will most likely be waiting for a plugin to do this.

There are multiple things mentioned in this thread, really. A summary;

1) The same reasons for reporting are over the entire board and are not applicable to some situations. For example you cannot report a PM or reputation for being in the wrong forum. There needs to be separate reasons for the different reportable objects.
2) The reasons for reporting cannot easily be customised to needs of the forum management. Edits must be made via the template file and developers have yet to tell me how "value=XXX" comes in to play with this.
3) The reporting system in the ModCP is lacking a lot of functionality. It's a simple "on/off" mechanism right now where either a report is read or unread, which is quite inefficient for larger forums with multiple moderators. There are no colors, no priorities, no "in progress" mode, etc.

I would consider the first thing as a bug, so it should be fixed before an open release outside of beta is made. That's like saying there is an option to call a farmer or taxi on 911/999 or something. User profiles can't be in the wrong forum for example. That's something that shouldn't be left to plugins, and nor should 2 really, although to some extent I can understand if suggestion 3 is left for plugins, although I do see your point in the sense that a lot of MyBB development has a "meh, let someone make a plugin" attitude to it.

(2014-08-04, 05:00 AM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with Adriano - reasons should be depending on content. Don't know if it will get into 1.8.x though.

It should do, or I will not touch 1.8 until it's fixed. How the heck can a reported profile be marked as a wrong forum? In my opinion it's a bug and if it doesn't get fixed before a stable release of 1.8 then I really need to consider whether MyBB is the way forward for me. I know nobody here will care what software I use, but unfinished products shouldn't be getting released when it's 2014.

(2014-08-04, 02:26 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]@fxzt - plugins are better solution for some features - why? easier to update it and maintain... core mybb should have only must have features and be security... more features -> more possible security issues.

Compared to the amount of forum users, the amount skilled enough to create plugins and stick to the "free and open source" idea is very low. Everything shouldn't be left to plugins because the moment the developer can no longer develop it, it'll die in time. At least core features tend to be uplifted and fixed as the rest of the platform moves forward. (:

EDIT: I will add that there are zero plugins related to my ideas for 1.6 - what means plugins for the reporting system will be made in 1.8?
I would like report reasons to differ based on what is being reported.

Quote:I will add that there are zero plugins related to my ideas for 1.6 - what means plugins for the reporting system will be made in 1.8?

Have you tried making such requests in the Plugin Requests forum?
<select name="reason" id="report_reason">
	<option value="rules">{$lang->report_reason_rules}</option>
	<option value="bad">{$lang->report_reason_bad}</option>
	<option value="spam">{$lang->report_reason_spam}</option>
	<option value="wrong">{$lang->report_reason_wrong}</option>
	<option value="test">{$lang->report_reason_test}</option>
	<option value="other">{$lang->report_reason_other}</option>
</select> 

In ./inc/languages/english/report.lang.php add:
$l['report_reason_test'] = "Test Reason";

Agree there should be some UI for it.
Definitely should be some sort of UI. It doesn't need to be amazing. Just something in the general configuration to configure reporting with sections for different areas of the site... like posts, messages, reputation, profiles etc... and then be able to specify different reasons.

My idealistic configuration in the MyBB admin panel would be very simple, even though it looks like a lot, but would revolutionize the way reports will be able to be further customised by plugins later down the line...

===========================================

MyBB Reporting Configuration

Enable User Reporting?
[YES] [NO]

Enable reporting of posts?
[YES] [NO]

Allow “other” option for posts?
[YES] [NO]

Each on one line, specify the reasons:

Repeat the red segment and changes "posts" for reputation, messages, profiles, calendar events, etc etc.

Thoughts? (:
@groovybluedog:
I agree with your vision. It's simple and clear.
@@groovybluedog - good!
Thanks guys :3
I earned my first reputation from the points I made in this thread Big Grin #personalmybbachievement

I really hope this sort of functionality ends up in the first stable release of MyBB 1.8.

I definitely consider it a bug that I can report a reputation for being in the wrong forum. The minimal that needs to happen is to have different reporting reasons for different sections of the forum. I can deal with the lack of UI functionality to change the reasons as long as I can edit it in a template, but the fact the report reasons apply EVERYWHERE something can be reported needs a fix :3

EDIT: I suspect the type of functionality I described two posts up will be either in a much later 1.8 version or left for plugins Sad
Just picked a random profile...
http://community.mybb.com/user-13556.html

And clicked report profile...
And I can STILL report a profile for the wrong forum :o
Pages: 1 2 3 4