MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 2.0 vs phpBB4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Out of curiosity, what's going to make MyBB 2.0 better than phpBB4?

I know that both are probably going through the modernization treatment.
phpBB4 probably has a head-start as they've already got the framework work settled.
MyBB too will get their framework settled once Yii 2.0 is out Wink
You can't compare them both at such an early stage, really.
(2014-09-02, 07:48 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB too will get their framework settled once Yii 2.0 is out Wink
You can't compare them both at such an early stage, really.

In my personal opinion, I highly doubt that Yii is going to be used at this point. Laravel came into popularity after the announcement by the team, and has proven to be a very solid framework that encourages highly readable and testable code. Laravel's release schedule is also proving to be a lot more reliable than the Yii team's development of 2.0. Their last update about 2.0 was all the way back in April when the first beta of 2.0 was released. Not a word on their blog since.
That question can't really be answered.

There isn't much information about phpBB 4. In fact, it seems that it may not even happen.

There isn't much information about MyBB 2.0 either at this point. A lot of consideration is being put into the UI though. We just released 1.8 anyway, I guess you could say 2.0 development will only be starting now.
The fact that we are more awesome than them.
(2014-09-02, 08:00 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]That question can't really be answered.

There isn't much information about phpBB 4. In fact, it seems that it may not even happen.

There isn't much information about MyBB 2.0 either at this point. A lot of consideration is being put into the UI though. We just released 1.8 anyway, I guess you could say 2.0 development will only be starting now.

And in my opinion, MyBB 2.0 won't be a total rewrite either, because that would mean a total incompatibility between MyBB's history, and MyBB's future, everything would break. It would rather be a gradual improvement of the software.
(2014-09-02, 08:10 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-02, 08:00 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]That question can't really be answered.

And in my opinion, MyBB 2.0 won't be a total rewrite either, because that would mean a total incompatibility between MyBB's history, and MyBB's future, everything would break. It would rather be a gradual improvement of the software.

I remember it being confirmed countless times that it would be a complete rewrite from scratch in a framework.
It will be a total rewrite. Everything will break. Because that's the only way to progress properly. Plugins will have to be rewritten along with themes to be compatible with 2.0. We will still allow and support upgrades from 1.x to 2.0.
(2014-09-02, 08:15 PM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]I remember it being confirmed countless times that it would be a complete rewrite from scratch in a framework.

I don't think there's anything confirmed about MyBB 2.0 at all Toungue
The fact that we will use a framework is confirmed. Otherwise we'd have a similar code base as 1.x which would mean that there would be no point rewriting anything...
Pages: 1 2