MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBBlog - Beta
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This will be a SIMPLE blog plugin which is fully integrated with MyBB.

Confirmed features:
  • Permissions on a per group basis (can_comment, can_view, can_write)
  • Plugin hooks to allow other plugin authors to add more features
  • Articles/Posts are parsed like normal threads
  • Articles/Posts can be tagged and filtered by their tags
  • Basic comment feature

Features that won't be included:
  • Categories (you can use tags instead)
  • Any other kind of search/order. At least not in the first version
  • Likes/Rates/Whatever for those articles
  • Uploading attachments (includes images). Will likely be included sometime later

You can follow the development at GitHub

Original post

This plugin was requested multiple times now and I decided to work on it.

My plan atm is to add a new page where you can post articles and view them. Articles are handled like threads (mycode etc) and comments can be added by members.

Permissions would be on a per group basis: Can view, Can comment, Can write article.

Do you have any thoughts about other features a blog needs to have?
Because the blog would be a library of data,  articles, etc, it should have a powerful category system and a statistic system. So users could access to their needed information easily and this would make the blog system more useful & efficient.

Now I list some ideas come to my mind, this is you who would choose which feature should be added to the plugin.

My recommended features :

1. a good sorting system like:
     category

sub
           sub
               sub sub
  2. most visited articles (totally, past day,week,month, x time)
  3. newest articles
  4. suggested articles
  5. latest articles of x category (there could be a feature for administrators to select & show some categories latest articles separately-each category in one box)
  6. Random articles
  7. related articles
  8. most liked/rated articles (totally, past day,week,month, x time) (also there should be a powerful rate/like system.)

9. other suggestions:

1. comment to comment feature
    2. ability to show articles with x feature (e.g. newest articles or most visited articles or most liked/rated articles ....) in forum index.(based on admin choice)
    3. powerful search system
    4. ability to add announcements bar(I mean Status or Message Bar) to the top of page
    5. ability to add sticky article,posts
    6. be compatible with advanced sidebax plugin
    7. a powerful Email subscription system by which articles with x feature (e.g. newest articles or most visited articles or most liked/rated articles ....based on subscriber choice) would be sent to users Email every x time.(based on subscriber choice)
    8. a navigation bar
    9. upload place and download button
    10. a good tag or key word system
    11. an option for add some additional information to articles which would be shown by clicking on an specific button (sth like spoiler my code)
    12. if the blog would have a lot of features so it would be better to have a guide page.
    <!-- finished -->
(2014-09-19, 02:14 AM)jvdabz Wrote: [ -> ]Because the blog would be a library of data,  articles, etc, it should have a powerful category system and a statistic system. So users could access to their needed information easily and this would make the blog system more useful & efficient.

Now I list some ideas come to my mind, this is you who would choose which feature should be added to the plugin.

My recommended features :

1. a good sorting system like:
     category

sub
           sub
               sub sub
  2. most visited articles (totally, past day,week,month, x time)
  3. newest articles
  4. suggested articles
  5. latest articles of x category (there could be a feature for administrators to select & show some categories latest articles separately-each category in one box)
  6. Random articles
  7. related articles
  8. most liked/rated articles (totally, past day,week,month, x time) (also there should be a powerful rate/like system.)

9. other suggestions:

1. comment to comment feature
    2. ability to show articles with x feature (e.g. newest articles or most visited articles or most liked/rated articles ....) in forum index.(based on admin choice)
    3. powerful search system
    4. ability to add announcements bar(I mean Status or Message Bar) to the top of page
    5. ability to add sticky article,posts
    6. be compatible with advanced sidebax plugin
    7. a powerful Email subscription system by which articles with x feature (e.g. newest articles or most visited articles or most liked/rated articles ....based on subscriber choice) would be sent to users Email every x time.(based on subscriber choice)
    8. a navigation bar
    9. upload place and download button
    10. a good tag or key word system
    11. an option for add some additional information to articles which would be shown by clicking on an specific button (sth like spoiler my code)
    12. if the blog would have a lot of features so it would be better to have a guide page.
    <!-- finished -->

I think that's starting to get into wordpress territory... Toungue
I think better to use another system for this... waste of time ad resources _D
I think you can see the issue with this already, with the comments above.

People want complex systems, a blog system is intended to manage important data of your site after all, not just user data that can easily be pruned and forgotten about with no issues.

People basically want everything a forum has to offer but settled out of the box, with close to zero struggles on the way.

Is there an plugin for thanks/like for forums already? I want it on my blog too!
Forums offer a extensive yet sometimes confusing permission system? I want it on my blog too!
Lastes/Related/Top/Random X/Y/Z Threads/Posts/Users/Candies of all time/today/yesterday/the beginning. Guess what? There is already a plugin for forums that allow that.

That is why xThreads is a powerful system for the advance user and galleries/video galleries/portals/download systems/etc all fall behind.

The issue? Again, the complexity for the user to set up.

I'm just trying to say users expect high from similar systems yet that is the reason they all fall behind and most of them never see the light.
Nah, this is planned as a SIMPLE Blog system - I'll add some sort of categories (or better tags) but nothing big. However I'll likely add some plugin hooks so others can expand it.
(2014-09-19, 06:18 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I think you can see the issue with this already, with the comments above.

People want complex systems, a blog system is intended to manage important data of your site after all, not just user data that can easily be pruned and forgotten about with no issues.

People basically want everything a forum has to offer but settled out of the box, with close to zero struggles on the way.

Is there an plugin for thanks/like for forums already? I want it on my blog too!
Forums offer a extensive yet sometimes confusing permission system? I want it on my blog too!
Lastes/Related/Top/Random X/Y/Z Threads/Posts/Users/Candies of all time/today/yesterday/the beginning. Guess what? There is already a plugin for forums that allow that.

That is why xThreads is a powerful system for the advance user and galleries/video galleries/portals/download systems/etc all fall behind.

The issue? Again, the complexity for the user to set up.

I'm just trying to say users expect high from similar systems yet that is the reason they all fall behind and most of them never see the light.

OK why to be disturbed by my post? Feel free to delete it!

If you have read my post carefully I have mentioned "
Now I list some ideas come to my mind, this is you who would choose which feature should be added to the plugin." above my suggestions!

THIS MEANS: I GIVE MY SUGGESTIONS BUT YOU SHOULD SELECT PROPER ONES.

Do you treat with all of the people who spend hours just to find and give some suggestions to developers in this manner?

Sorry for MyBB for this kinda stuff.

I thought at least somebody would appreciate me because of this complete list !!!
Next time if somebody wants any suggestion and others give any, feel free to ban suggesters. That's the best way to stop them.

Please delete my post, Thank you very much
Your post was an example but definitely not the foundation to my opinion.
(2014-09-18, 09:46 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]This plugin was requested multiple times now and I decided to work on it.

My plan atm is to add a new page where you can post articles and view them. Articles are handled like threads (mycode etc) and comments can be added by members.

Permissions would be on a per group basis: Can view, Can comment, Can write article.

Do you have any thoughts about other features a blog needs to have?

It´s better re-organize portal.php as a blog system.Turning into a CMS system.With drag and drop widgets,block system with "Resume Post" - "Read More.... -  and similiar. It´s nice but if you want to develop a REAL nice one.

Maybe this http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs?tab=memberblog-tab

I suggest:

a MyBB download system ( similar to IPB Downloads or this https://xenforo.com/community/resources/...users.218/ )
a league system (similiar to MyBB MyLeagues +http://community.mybb.com/thread-146644.html)
(2014-09-19, 09:49 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]this is planned as a SIMPLE Blog system

Also this thread isn't about suggesting new plugins.
Pages: 1 2 3