MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How long did it take you to develop your forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all, it is me again, just browsing around the forums and checking out the showcase, nothing new there which kind of draws me to ponder, a section for critiquing forums would be so awesome, I love looking at forum designs, what people are coming up with, getting different ideas and sharing opinions, which draws me to another thought, or question I should say,

question, how long did it take you to build your forum before you launched it publically?
How do you promote your forum?

Personally, it is going to take me about another month to complete my site, it will have over 600 categories and I'm going to launch it to my 110,000 followers on twitter, I see no problem with getting members, but then again, this is my first adventure into forum land and alot of times I see dead forums, and I'm kinda scared of that, having a forum with no interactions, so an aggressive campain on twitter will be my goal to keep things popping.
A forum of 600 categories would drive people away from your forum. Start simply and build on it.
(2014-10-26, 06:26 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]A forum of 600 categories would drive people away from your forum. Start simply and build on it.

Yes,typically I would agree, thanks for the insight as well, the main 500 categories are the 50 states, and the ten most popular cities in each state, for a classifieds section so those 500 cats would fall under one forum called Classifieds, so most of it is backend and not front end.
(2014-10-26, 02:53 AM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all, it is me again, just browsing around the forums and checking out the showcase, nothing new there which kind of draws me to ponder, a section for critiquing forums would be so awesome, I love looking at forum designs, what people are coming up with, getting different ideas and sharing opinions, which draws me to another thought, or question I should say,

question, how long did it take you to build your forum before you launched it publically?
How do you promote your forum?

Personally, it is going to take me about another month to complete my site, it will have over 600 categories and I'm going to launch it to my 110,000 followers on twitter, I see no problem with getting members, but then again, this is my first adventure into forum land and alot of times I see dead forums, and I'm kinda scared of that, having a forum with no interactions, so an aggressive campain on twitter will be my goal to keep things popping.

4 hours is how long it took me.  :p
4 hours is how long it took me.  :p
[/quote]

Ha! that is awesome, what kind of site do you run, if you dont mind me asking.
Around two 1/2 days, myself.
(2014-10-27, 03:36 AM)Cierra Wrote: [ -> ]Around two 1/2 days, myself.

Hi, I remember looking at your language site and thought, wow, loved the theme and look, made me a little envious lol, that was when you had the rush theme attached to it, have you laucnhed your site to the public yet?
Well, we officially opened July 2013. We're still developing, and will be for the forseeable future.

The issue being that I no longer own a MyBB forum (although the present production site *does* run off the MyBB database the code is all mine).
(2014-10-27, 05:20 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Well, we officially opened July 2013. We're still developing, and will be for the forseeable future.

The issue being that I no longer own a MyBB forum (although the present production site *does* run off the MyBB database the code is all mine).

Wow, that is awesome,so you are an intriquate developer, I was just checking out your network, looks fanatastic.
(2014-10-27, 05:38 AM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-10-27, 05:20 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Well, we officially opened July 2013. We're still developing, and will be for the forseeable future.

Wow, that is awesome,so you are an intriquate developer, I was just checking out your network, looks fanatastic.

So I've been told; personally I think the in-development version looks better... 

[Image: 194700047c.png]
Pages: 1 2