MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tell me about Google SEO plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2014-11-03, 04:55 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]As I said, it is the same thing... I don't know how to explain it in a simplier way. Maybe analogically - if you build a red Porsche from scratch, you'll end up having a red Porsche. If you borrow/steal/buy a blue Porsche and paint it red, you'll have a red Porsche again... So it doesn't matter what you do, you just have to do it correctly. Inserting few lines into a specific text file isn't a tedious task.

Sigh....That analogy was not helpful nor was the bold text. That's like saying "the correct way to do algebra is to do it correctly." To someone that has not been taught the correct way. We are not all as gifted and knowledgeable as you when it comes to altering code. Remember that you were once as ignorant as I am.

I have tried to tell you that I have two files .htaccess.txt and htaccess.nginx.txt already in my root folder. Do I add the code to one of those two files and rename it .htaccess or do I create a new file named .htaccess that will exist alongside the two other files I named above.

Why do I ask that? Because:

1. I don't know what those files are for
2. Maybe .htaccess.txt needs to be in the folder for other features to work correctly.

If you cannot answer, can you at least provide the most current detailed installation description?

I have read this and this

One tells me to edit the existing .htaccess.txt file and the other tells me to create a new file without the extension and upload it.
The example .htaccess file in the Google SEO package shows what it's supposed to look like, assuming you're also MyBB's standard .htaccess file. It even comes with explanations in the comments as to how to adapt it to your situation. Google SEO itself will display what you need to add on the plugins page. For a regular setup (Apache with mod_rewrite) this should work with a simple copy&paste.

While the example files have a .txt extension for convenience, the real file must be named .htaccess, not .htaccess.txt or anything else.

I'm sure you'll find a tutorial on how to edit .htaccess online, it's not MyBB specific, it's a webserver (Apache) thing and quite common with most webhosters.
(2014-11-03, 09:17 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]The example .htaccess file in the Google SEO package shows what it's supposed to look like, assuming you're also MyBB's standard .htaccess file. It even comes with explanations in the comments as to how to adapt it to your situation. Google SEO itself will display what you need to add on the plugins page. For a regular setup (Apache with mod_rewrite) this should work with a simple copy&paste.

While the example files have a .txt extension for convenience, the real file must be named .htaccess, not .htaccess.txt or anything else.

I'm sure you'll find a tutorial on how to edit .htaccess online, it's not MyBB specific, it's a webserver (Apache) thing and quite common with most webhosters.

Thank you. I think I get it now. What was throwing me off was the part about "existing .htaccess file."

I simply add this code using the example file as a guide then rename .htacces.txt ".htaccess"

One last question.

What is .htaccess-nginx.txt?
(2014-11-03, 10:06 PM)oklalitt ledixie Wrote: [ -> ]One last question.

What is .htaccess-nginx.txt?

Exactly What It Says On The Tin; .htaccess, only for nginx instead of Apache. nginx is an alternative to Apache's httpd.
nginx is another webserver (alternative to apache). It does rewrites differently. lighttpd is yet another webserver.

They're not directly supported, but example rewrite rules for those webservers are in the package.

Usually people who use those webservers know what to do with it. You can ignore it. In particular, there is no need to upload those files. Apart from the stuff in inc/, you only need .htaccess and (optional) robots.txt
(2014-11-03, 10:56 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]nginx is another webserver (alternative to apache). It does rewrites differently. lighttpd is yet another webserver.

They're not directly supported, but example rewrite rules for those webservers are in the package.

Usually people who use those webservers know what to do with it. You can ignore it. In particular, there is no need to upload those files. Apart from the stuff in inc/, you only need .htaccess and (optional) robots.txt

Thank you again. I appreciate people who are willing to help newbs with their ill informed questions instead of being the Company Computer Guy from SNL.

The reason for my confusion is that I was not aware that .htaccess.txt has to be changed to .htaccess for any of its functions to work. I was under the impression the .htaccess.txt file was a working file.
Pages: 1 2 3