MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Just HACKED AGAIN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2014-11-17, 04:15 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-17, 03:58 AM)Saint Francis Wrote: [ -> ]I've decided to switch to IPB. Since MyBB is compromised and neglectful.

It's more likely your web hosting account or machine was compromised. If you followed the correct procedures after you were hacked the first time, and you were hacked again after that, it becomes increasingly likely it's not a flaw in MyBB. There are MyBB forums with tens of millions of posts which haven't been hacked, and it's unlikely someone would target a small forum if they could exploit larger ones.

Instead of switching the forum software, try figuring out where the issue is. If you can't do that your users have no reason to trust you with their data. It sounds like you don't know what you're doing so you're putting the blame on MyBB.
It's not like those big boards share their security measures with the rest of us either.
(2014-11-17, 04:20 AM)mikeh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-17, 04:15 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-17, 03:58 AM)Saint Francis Wrote: [ -> ]I've decided to switch to IPB. Since MyBB is compromised and neglectful.

It's more likely your web hosting account or machine was compromised. If you followed the correct procedures after you were hacked the first time, and you were hacked again after that, it becomes increasingly likely it's not a flaw in MyBB. There are MyBB forums with tens of millions of posts which haven't been hacked, and it's unlikely someone would target a small forum if they could exploit larger ones.

Instead of switching the forum software, try figuring out where the issue is. If you can't do that your users have no reason to trust you with their data. It sounds like you don't know what you're doing so you're putting the blame on MyBB.
It's not like those big boards share their security measures with the rest of us either.

I respect that and I shall stay with MyBB and maybe my mistake was that I took the security measures a little too lightly or maybe I skipped over something.

But my members are what makes my forum and my priority is their safety but also their joy of my community. I could go over to IPB and get a fresh start, or I could be a man and face up and say "ok , I effed up somewhere and I paid for it" and thats what i've chosen to do.
(2014-11-17, 04:20 AM)mikeh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-17, 04:15 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-17, 03:58 AM)Saint Francis Wrote: [ -> ]I've decided to switch to IPB. Since MyBB is compromised and neglectful.

Big boards are equally as vulnerable as any other forum. If it was an unknown, unpatched vulnerability within MyBB's core, there would be a lot more noise.

Unless a post-mortem is done on the board to review access logs, account logins, etc. there's not much else to say. It sounds like the forum was hacked due to the SQL injection vulnerability in 1.8.1 and the admin failed to upgrade before putting the site live again.
(2014-11-17, 04:41 AM)Saint Francis Wrote: [ -> ]I could go over to IPB and get a fresh start, or I could be a man and face up and say "ok , I effed up somewhere and I paid for it" and thats what i've chosen to do.
Smile Smile Smile
Odd
Quote:Community Forum Software by IP.Board 3.4.7
(2014-11-17, 05:12 AM)aaronnz Wrote: [ -> ]Odd

Quote:Community Forum Software by IP.Board 3.4.7

What's odd about it? He converted to another software. Toungue
Thread closed as referred forum is reported as converted to another forum system.
if the forum continues using MyBB then PM me or post a thread in Private Inquiries section
Pages: 1 2 3