MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User registration and alerts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When ever a user register on my forum I get shown an alert that says "1 user awaiting for activation..." even though I have set user account activation to send "activation e-mail" and NOT "activate by administrator".

Also I'd like to say that since 1.6 there's a bug with alerts that display the above mentioned message.
If a user is activated by going to profile > group > awaiting activation > activated, then the alert message saying to activate a user remains, but if I just go to 'browse users' and use the 'options' menu to with the 'activate user' option it disappears. 

There's 2 methods of activating the user, but both of the methods should remove the alert message ( the one that shouldn't appear in my case in the first place ).
Already reported long time ago.
(2014-11-20, 08:44 AM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Already reported long time ago.

Why hasn't it been fixed a long time ago then? Toungue Rolleyes
Because we're all volunteers...
(2014-11-20, 11:23 AM)FReQuEnZy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-20, 08:44 AM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Already reported long time ago.

Why hasn't it been fixed a long time ago then? Toungue Rolleyes

Feel free to post a fix Smile
(2014-11-20, 01:03 PM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]Because we're all volunteers...

I'm aware of that, but seeing as this has been a bug since 1.6... Why release a new version namely 1.8 of the forum software with the same bug. It just makes no sense to me. Not like I'm demanding you to fix it right now.

edit: I just noticed this was added into the rejected lot, is that because it's a duplicate report or because well... no one cares.
(2014-11-20, 01:25 PM)FReQuEnZy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm aware of that, but seeing as this has been a bug since 1.6...

Where did you get that info from? The awaiting activation global bar was added in 1.8.0.

(2014-11-20, 01:25 PM)FReQuEnZy Wrote: [ -> ]Why release a new version namely 1.8 of the forum software with the same bug.

Do you have any experience in working on a big programming project, not to mention for free? While I agree that many bugs were introduced or left from 1.6, other MyBB users were complaining "Why isn't MyBB 1.8 out yet?!", so making both them and "Less bugs please" group happy with this amount of active staff was an impossible task. So a golden mean was chosen.

(2014-11-20, 01:25 PM)FReQuEnZy Wrote: [ -> ]edit: I just noticed this was added into the rejected lot, is that because it's a duplicate report or because well... no one cares.

Because many people don't even bother to use the search functionality before reporting issues, which would save us time spent to reject them, yet they expect us to do everything smoothly and ideally. That's not a good cooperation if you ask me.
(2014-11-20, 03:11 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Where did you get that info from? The awaiting activation global bar was added in 1.8.0.

It might have been in admin cp instead of a global alert.
It was an odd bug that appeared with only some few users.

(2014-11-20, 03:11 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have any experience in working on a big programming project, not to mention for free? While I agree that many bugs were introduced or left from 1.6, other MyBB users were complaining "Why isn't MyBB 1.8 out yet?!", so making both them and "Less bugs please" group happy with this amount of active staff was an impossible task. So a golden mean was chosen.

I'm working on a big project right now, by myself so I'm getting that experience.
Also it's for free.

In the course of editing and modding the MyBB 1.8 software I really haven't noticed many big differences or features. For example most popular plugin features could have been integrated. Along with proper followup on bug fixes. Bits of jQuery here and there don't really make much of an impact.

I can understand how user pressure can force the course of development, but ideally you'd end up with a more refined product if a more exact development plan would have been laid out. I've noticed that there's a split on workflow between 1.8 and 2.0 projects, which is the result of user pressure for releases.

The "less bugs group" is most likely the group that has reasonable development experience and composed of people who know what they are saying. While the other would be just impatient 'nubs' who'd just install with a premade skin and plugins.

(2014-11-20, 03:11 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Because many people don't even bother to use the search functionality before reporting issues, which would save us time spent to reject them, yet they expect us to do everything smoothly and ideally. That's not a good cooperation if you ask me.

I apologise if I rushed this report, but I recall reporting the same issue with 1.6 and I had to get a third party to hack fix it back then. So it came as a surprise to me that a similar issue seems to have been swept under the rug.

Personally I see this as a major bug, especially in forums with large users, where the admin would have to activate all users manually, also the activation alert doesn't have a close, hide button as the pm alert does. (Which I did try to make possible, but due to my lack of knowledge on the internal workings of the actual inner php templates of the forum software I left it for the time being)

Thank you for your time.
(2014-11-20, 07:02 PM)FReQuEnZy Wrote: [ -> ]It might have been in admin cp instead of a global alert.
It was an odd bug that appeared with only some few users.

(...)

but I recall reporting the same issue with 1.6 and I had to get a third party to hack fix it back then.

It is only in ACP in 1.6.x and it uses a completely different code - a COUNT query, much more reliable than the cached amount for the notice bar in 1.8: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/blob/master...ex.php#L60 So I don't think you reported it in 1.6.x, at least I can't find your report anywhere.

(2014-11-20, 07:02 PM)FReQuEnZy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm working on a big project right now, by myself so I'm getting that experience.
Also it's for free.

Is it available to public? If yes, could you share a link to it? If not, that's not comparable..

(2014-11-20, 07:02 PM)FReQuEnZy Wrote: [ -> ]I can understand how user pressure can force the course of development, but ideally you'd end up with a more refined product if a more exact development plan would have been laid out. I've noticed that there's a split on workflow between 1.8 and 2.0 projects, which is the result of user pressure for releases.

We had an exact development plan, but that alone won't cause anything if there is not enough voluntary activity to fulfill it as I said in my previous post.

As for the split - yes, 2.0 is a completely new project while 1.8 was supposed to be 1.x continuation.

(2014-11-20, 07:02 PM)FReQuEnZy Wrote: [ -> ]So it came as a surprise to me that a similar issue seems to have been swept under the rug.

Once again, it was not swept under the rug.. The duplicates were swept, yes, but the actual proper 1st report on this matter got pushed to github and is being fixed: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/1007
(2014-11-20, 11:27 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]It is only in ACP in 1.6.x and it uses a completely different code - a COUNT query, much more reliable than the cached amount for the notice bar in 1.8: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/blob/master...ex.php#L60 So I don't think you reported it in 1.6.x, at least I can't find your report anywhere.

It was to do with user activation not the alerts.
The actual bug was related to activation issues of users.

(2014-11-20, 11:27 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it available to public? If yes, could you share a link to it? If not, that's not comparable..

This whole site, which is very much a work in progress.

http://www.cncftw.com/forums/

You say, if not that it's not comparable, it sounds more like you're turning this into a competition.
Which makes it look like you have too much pride.

Also along with that site I've been developing an update patch for a game, which including the content on the site (that has not been re-added) is included in the development plan.

(2014-11-20, 11:27 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Once again, it was not swept under the rug.. The duplicates were swept, yes, but the actual proper 1st report on this matter got pushed to github and is being fixed: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/1007

Why was it so hard to link this in the first post? It would have cleared up a lot of confusion and saved time for the both of us.

Eg: Duplicate report, rejected, original report "link here".

Just a 6 word sentence...
Pages: 1 2