MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Parsing issue: Forums have stopped working completely
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Last night I found a myBB error message saying that there was an SQL error in regards to too many connections. Error 1040 or something like that. Anyway, I thought I'd just leave that alone, since the cause could be from anywhere (I do not own the server, and it is shared with a couple of other sites). So I woke up today and found that I could not access the forums at all. Instantly loads a blank page, in the exact same way you would expect a page to behave when there is a PHP parsing error.

Other sites on the server work fine, and even my own non-forum pages, which contain PHP and database queries, have no issues. However, I have no idea how to locate or fix the issue.

If I cannot fix the issue, I'm considering starting afresh with the latest myBB version. I stopped updating regularly a while back because I'm stuck on ancient hardware for at least a few months, but I may have to deal with it now.

So, if I can't solve this issue, what's the procedure to update from 1.6 to 1.8? I have a couple of concerns:

- If I start afresh, will my custom pages, plugins, templates and themes still be compatible? How can I keep them if I'm installing 1.8?
- Will the current database still be compatible? I have a backup, but it is three weeks old.
web host control panel might be having server error log and that should have clue to blank pages.

see upgrading instructions

almost all earlier themes, most of earlier plugins, and custom pages added through plugins are not compatible with MyBB 1.8

theme updating instructions
upgrading guidance Wrote:Visit your Admin Control Panel, then go to Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates. This will show you a list of all the templates that have changed during the upgrade.

You can either revert these templates to their default - meaning all the changes you've made to it will be removed - or you can see a Diff Report which will show you exactly what's changed. If you have a custom theme installed, it is probably best that you look at the Diff Report and apply the changes you need.

see also basic theme upgrading [version 1.6 to 1.8]

some of the earlier plugins might work by changing compatibility line
Damn. I guess for the time being I'll stick to 1.6, and then make preparations at a later stage to upgrade properly.

Do you guys keep copies of previous versions? Perhaps I might be able to try reinstalling my current version, or upgrading to the next version. Of course, I dont remember what specific version I was on, beyond 1.6. Any way to find out via the server files?
~/inc/class_core.php file consists of version information
public $version = "1.6.12";

keep a copy of database, config.php file & settings.php file before doing major changes

Edit: MyBB versions
Alrighty, found the version. 1.6.12. However, the 1.6.13 version is giving me a 404 on your linked page.

Actually, all the versions are giving me a 404
hmm., you can safely upgrade to MyBB 1.6.16 - it is available from downloads page

if you still need MyBB 1.6.12 then give me a few hours. I'll upload to a public server and provide the link
That's okay, I found the right page via google.

Still no luck though. Upgraded to 13...Nothing. Tried upgrading to 14, but I get the same blank page issue trying to run the upgrade script.

I might just have to start from scratch
^ hmm., if you need, I can have a quick look. however you may have to wait for a few hours
if required, PM me web host panel access & forum admin panel access (you can change credentials later)
Uhh, stupid question, but what is web host panel? FTP access, or something else?
^ web host control panel --> can be c-panel / plex panel .. etc
it is required to access server error log if exists and files manager & database for basic testing
Pages: 1 2