MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion: Ideas Site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
There is truth either way... I would have denied it as well. Toungue
It is true that people can put postive posts for something which sounds stupid
Yeh but thats not making anyone pissed off. That just makes you look like an uber retard.
Yes but the problem with having the inability to VOTE negative means those wishing to not have a feature MUST post a negative comment in the thread. Ultimately it leads to discussions and arguments about features vs just having votes. You can already see this trend in the ideas area. I myself won't just quietly dismiss a bad idea. I am FORCED to post a negative comment since I have no alternative. If I could just vote a thumbs down a comment wouldn't always be needed.

It's just one sided and that imho is abuse. I am not sure how thumbs down can be abused. Can you explain further tikitiki? Are you saying that a bunch of people will get together to thumb down a great idea for mybb just to be petty? I really don't think there is that much immaturity here. If you do think that's why we can have abuse with a thumbs down then you should also make each idea anonymous. That would prevent that type of abuse with personal vendettas and the like.

Either way..so far it doesn't seem like Chris wants to add this feature to the ideas area but imho I think it's inevitable. You can see the trend of the voting system already where things are top 10 voted yet have a pile of negative comments. That imho is detrimental to the top 10. The top rated stuff should be things with the most positive over negative votes. You can read the comments yourself in lots of those ideas....somehow the top 5 doesn't look like a bunch of great ideas but things that people just want to be like VB. At least that's my view.

Oh well it is what it is and at least our voices are heard. That's a lot more than I can say for most forum software out there. Thanks for listening at least.
This can be looked at 2 ways, the way most in the post are reacting or look at the bigger picture. Tikitiki already stated someones going to look retarded for inflating votes on a idea not worth chasing. That's a given.

Example-If a food item(Food just as an example) is good it becomes popular and sells millions of dollars in revenue. Now if the food is crap and don't make money, it's considered a failure and removed.  Quick analogy- If the idea is good is will bring in the votes, if it sucks then it wont. It really is that simple imo.

Besides, no idea is a bad one Smile
labrocca Wrote:Yes but the problem with having the inability to VOTE negative means those wishing to not have a feature MUST post a negative comment in the thread. Ultimately it leads to discussions and arguments about features vs just having votes. You can already see this trend in the ideas area. I myself won't just quietly dismiss a bad idea. I am FORCED to post a negative comment since I have no alternative. If I could just vote a thumbs down a comment wouldn't always be needed.

It's just one sided and that imho is abuse. I am not sure how thumbs down can be abused. Can you explain further tikitiki? Are you saying that a bunch of people will get together to thumb down a great idea for mybb just to be petty? I really don't think there is that much immaturity here. If you do think that's why we can have abuse with a thumbs down then you should also make each idea anonymous. That would prevent that type of abuse with personal vendettas and the like.

Either way..so far it doesn't seem like Chris wants to add this feature to the ideas area but imho I think it's inevitable. You can see the trend of the voting system already where things are top 10 voted yet have a pile of negative comments. That imho is detrimental to the top 10. The top rated stuff should be things with the most positive over negative votes. You can read the comments yourself in lots of those ideas....somehow the top 5 doesn't look like a bunch of great ideas but things that people just want to be like VB. At least that's my view.

Oh well it is what it is and at least our voices are heard. That's a lot more than I can say for most forum software out there. Thanks for listening at least.
From what I looked at, the "top 10" most voted for did not have negative comments in all of them - it was only 3 or 4 that had one or two (well, excluding thread description) negative comments... People are sure to object certain things, while many others will accept it.

What you have to remember is that whatever the new feature is, if it is one that you don't like, there is a 99.9% chance that you'll be able to disable it. We wouldn't add some spiffy new feature and then tell you, "you can't turn this off, sorry." Of the "top 10," the only ones I saw where you couldn't turn them off were ones that were major changes - template conditionals, Mod CP, new smilies (and even then you could stick with the old ones), and making images in templates completely changeable... those sorts of things you wouldn't be able to turn off, but you could just not use them.

There will always be someone who says, "No, I don't want to see this feature," while several others do want to see it. If you are that one person, then don't vote for it, and say why you don't want to see it (what is so repulsive about it that you wouldn't want to see it), and then others will see that, too, better than just a negative vote. It won't be through a negative vote, but it'll be through a comment that lets you explain why you want it to be there - there's a real difference between liking something and disliking something. You can like something just because it sounds like a good idea, but if you dislike it, usually there's a reason - and rather than anonymously negatively voting for it, go out there and say you don't like it. You are free to your own opinion, and you can share it.
labrocca Wrote:Yes but the problem with having the inability to VOTE negative means those wishing to not have a feature MUST post a negative comment in the thread. Ultimately it leads to discussions and arguments about features vs just having votes. You can already see this trend in the ideas area. I myself won't just quietly dismiss a bad idea. I am FORCED to post a negative comment since I have no alternative. If I could just vote a thumbs down a comment wouldn't always be needed.

No one is forcing you to do anything. If you don't like the idea then #1) Don't vote on it #2) Don't comment on it if you feel like you must because there is not a negative button and #3) Don't come here posting about not having the ability to make a negative vote. It will eventually float down to the bottom Just like if there was a negative button. It will be the SAME.

labrocca Wrote:It's just one sided and that imho is abuse. I am not sure how thumbs down can be abused. Can you explain further tikitiki?

one sided? abuse? I'm not sure how you can put 'positive' in the 'abuse' context. I'm not going to restate what chris has stated before. If you want a further explanation go back and re-read his posts on the idea. They make perfect sense.

labrocca Wrote:Are you saying that a bunch of people will get together to thumb down a great idea for mybb just to be petty? I really don't think there is that much immaturity here. If you do think that's why we can have abuse with a thumbs down then you should also make each idea anonymous. That would prevent that type of abuse with personal vendettas and the like.

YEP. There are people out there that will do anything to make you mad. Immature kiddies would likely take the advantage to mark all the ideas negative a bunch of times. Then you get the authors of the ideas complaining everywhere why it got marked down, because, obviously in their eyes it was a good suggestion. You won't see a immature community here because we take care of people who post crap and start fights and spam.

labrocca Wrote:Either way..so far it doesn't seem like Chris wants to add this feature to the ideas area but imho I think it's inevitable. You can see the trend of the voting system already where things are top 10 voted yet have a pile of negative comments. That imho is detrimental to the top 10. The top rated stuff should be things with the most positive over negative votes. You can read the comments yourself in lots of those ideas....somehow the top 5 doesn't look like a bunch of great ideas but things that people just want to be like VB. At least that's my view.

If people didn't like the idea, it wouldn't be in the top 10. Just because there are some negative comments doesn't make it a bad idea. It just your opinion.

labrocca Wrote:Oh well it is what it is and at least our voices are heard. That's a lot more than I can say for most forum software out there. Thanks for listening at least.

I am glad you feel that way, but as of now, it stands 'no'. I feel no compulsion to keep this discussion going as it stands. But I will keep it open for any further suggestions on the ideas site.

The current suggestion for 'negative' votes is set in stone as 'no'.
Tikitiki reopened this and I thank him for allowing the discussion. I don't really like beating a dead horse but I will say that if the ideas were anonymous it would imho curb the abuse that's possible

The ideas being anonymous might be a good idea even without the negative vote concept.
People being anonymous won't help. People will still get upset. Like I said in my above scenario some people don't stereotype on the person, but on the community in all.
yes but i think is people do not your Idea they should like not comment on it or it should be clossed.
Pages: 1 2 3