MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discontinue Calander
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2015-03-04, 02:57 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Currently the calendar is quite pointless in 1.6/1.8. If we want to include it, it should be integrated with other forum functionalities. Useful options such as creating a thread after adding a calendar event (or the other way round - adding an event during thread creation), listing upcoming events on the index/portal/whatever page, listing events created by users in their profile or subscribing to events (to have notifications about their removal, delays, etc.) are missing and plugins have to be used.

Without them all you can do is clicking Calendar in the menu and hoping you'll find anything that may interest you, other than bunch of birthdays of random people.

I agree.

some forum communities might find the calendar very useful if it had the functionality you mentioned above.  in fact, I think at some point in the past (definitely during the mybb 1.4 or 1.6 days), there was a decent plugin that tried to add similar functionality to the default calendar to make it more usable.
I know worldbeyblade.org could've used a more robust calendar functionality, since they (formally we) organize tons of in-person events with strict schedules. Any organization that organizes events (like in-person events, online game raids/tournaments, etc.) could use it.
(2015-03-03, 04:33 PM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]Just because someone doesn't use a calendar, doesn't mean it should be dropped all together.

That is all. ^^

For those who suggested "dropping the calendar",

please tell us how that will "improve" MyBB, and how much "fat" is the calendar carrying ?
The calendar is pretty difficult to maintain in it's current state. But it's not yet decided whether we want to maintain the calendar or not. If we'll maintain it we surely make it easier to add integrations etc. But as said: this hasn't been decided yet.
Just my 2$ worth here... Would be a shame to lose it totally as we use it quite aggressively to show events and birthdays.
Appreciate that MyBB is not a CMS but wouldn't like to see it removed completely.
(2015-03-15, 06:13 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I know worldbeyblade.org could've used a more robust calendar functionality, since they (formally we) organize tons of in-person events with strict schedules. Any organization that organizes events (like in-person events, online game raids/tournaments, etc.) could use it.

exactly.  while my current big board doesn't have a purpose for the mybb calendar, I'm an admin on several political and car forums where the calendar, with better functionality, could be a very nice tool to use.
The MyBB calendar had tons of bugs, but maybe there is a PHP class that can handle the squishy bits. Developing a new calendar from scratch will certainly take time (and require someone with some skill). It's actually quite complicated to get it right down to the dot on the i.
I just prefer to get mybb 2.0 without inbuild calendar - this caledar add as a plugin
Saying you'd prefer not to have a feature that you weren't going to use anyway isn't valuable feedback, though. There's tons of MyBB features I've never used that are mission-critical to others; to advocate that they be removed just because they're not important to me would be asinine.

The actual important question: Are there enough forums that would benefit significantly from the functionality in order to justify its development? I can't say for sure if that's true or not, but I think that plenty of common MyBB use cases — discussions for online games, for example — present justification for it.
(2015-03-18, 05:12 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Saying you'd prefer not to have a feature that you weren't going to use anyway isn't valuable feedback, though. There's tons of MyBB features I've never used that are mission-critical to others; to advocate that they be removed just because they're not important to me would be asinine.

EXACTLY ^^^^

[/thread]
Pages: 1 2 3 4