MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discontinue Calander
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
A possibility is the calendar not being included in the default package but developed as an external one. Either officially or not. I don't see it being included but neither do I see it just vanishing.
I say dump the calendar and let the plugin marketplace answer the question. I'd like to see a really refined MyBB doing what it does best: being awesome forum software without bloat.

I know of forum software that starts with "X" that let the plugin developers decide whether it's worth the time. I think that's worth noting.

I don't see how a calendar adds true value without deep integration to a community. It's so easy to just add a Google Calendar for events. If you're organizing and posting events that require extra bells and whistles then you should be looking at more robust event systems.

If it doesn't delay 2.0 more I'd say have a simple calendar but have it easily extendable for plugin developers.
Yeah, discontinue calander please. It's useless.
I use it to display birthdays.  If it functioned better I would use it for more things.
(2015-03-18, 05:12 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Saying you'd prefer not to have a feature that you weren't going to use anyway isn't valuable feedback, though. There's tons of MyBB features I've never used that are mission-critical to others; to advocate that they be removed just because they're not important to me would be asinine.

The actual important question: Are there enough forums that would benefit significantly from the functionality in order to justify its development? I can't say for sure if that's true or not, but I think that plenty of common MyBB use cases — discussions for online games, for example — present justification for it.

I think the main reason people don't use the calendar in 1.8 and 1.6 is because it doesn't have much functionality that makes it useful for forum owners/users to utilize to keep track of upcoming events, etc.

If functionality was added for 2.0, I think it'd get more use and love, personally.
I'm using the calendar on some of my (or clients) boards. But I always use it together with a plugin that'll automatically create a thread about a new calendar event.

That's a pretty nice feature, for example for release dates for video games and such stuff.

The calendar should be improved (more integrated), not removed, in my opinion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4