MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: more flexible attachment system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
the mybb attachment system in the 1.X series in incredibly inflexible. it'd be great if the feature was improved so it's more efficient. I'm not sure if this has been suggested before or not, so forgive me if it has. here's a few things I think would be nice:

- ability to add more than 1 attachment at once

- a progress bar for the uploads

- rather than having the attachments confined to 1 thread/post, it would make more sense if attachments are added to a user's attachment gallery (or whatever you want to name it) so they can use the same image in multiple threads/posts at the same time. this would make things more efficient and save on server space.

I currently have attachments disabled globally on my forum because the system is so archaic.
It's almost a certainty that points 1 and 2 will be addressed, but I certainly hadn't thought about point 3. We haven't really talked about attachments much.
(2015-04-16, 09:29 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]It's almost a certainty that points 1 and 2 will be addressed, but I certainly hadn't thought about point 3. We haven't really talked about attachments much.

#3 is a key improvement, IMHO.

right now, if you want to use the same image in two separate threads (assuming we're only using the attachment system and not something like imgur, etc.), you need to upload it 2X, one for each post.  so rather than a 1mb image using up 1mb of storage space on the server, it's now using up 2mb.  compound that by thousands of users and yeah...it literally eats space.
Drag and drop suuport would be better- Something like phpBB 3.1
We haven't started with the attachments system yet but be sure that it'll be a lot more powerful than in 1.x.
Devil's advocate: There are other and better solutions to storing files and with good MyCode / Markdown / Whatever support, you can easily display images / videos and other file types within a post either through embed or a link. So why do we need attachments?
(2015-04-17, 04:50 PM)Will P Wrote: [ -> ]Devil's advocate: There are other and better solutions to storing files and with good MyCode / Markdown / Whatever support, you can easily display images / videos and other file types within a post either through embed or a link. So why do we need attachments?

It is time consuming and not user friendly to have to go upload my image to another host and then link to it from within my post.  In MyBB 2 if the attachment system doesn't exist, particularly in the realm of uploading images and allowing images to be attached to posts as easily Like one can on any other social network, I'd likely drop use MyBB off my website for good.  That is something as a user I use all the time, and it has been painful enough with the limited attachment capabilities in the current version.  
(2015-04-17, 04:50 PM)Will P Wrote: [ -> ]Devil's advocate: There are other and better solutions to storing files and with good MyCode / Markdown / Whatever support, you can easily display images / videos and other file types within a post either through embed or a link. So why do we need attachments?

what's your suggestion?

I don't have a problem with not using the attachment system if there's a good alternative. I keep them off because disk space becomes a concern for BBOs. right now, we use imgur for our uploads by following the tutorial that martec wrote a while back. this works well, but it could still use some enhancements.

(2015-04-17, 07:08 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]

It is time consuming and not user friendly to have to go upload my image to another host and then link to it from within my post.  In MyBB 2 if the attachment system doesn't exist, particularly in the realm of uploading images and allowing images to be attached to posts as easily Like one can on any other social network, I'd likely drop use MyBB off my website for good.  That is something as a user I use all the time, and it has been painful enough with the limited attachment capabilities in the current version.  

use the imgur upload tool that martec wrote a tutorial about. you tell the app which image to use and it'll automatically add the image inside [img] tags inside the post for you.
One way to address #3 is to use a hashing algorithm (such as MD5) and file type to see if the same file has already been uploaded. Each instance should still have it's own record in the attachment table, so that the attachment can be updated in one place without updating in all places. This possible solution still has the issue of using bandwidth to upload the same file multiple times (one per post), but solves the issue of disk space.
(2015-04-17, 10:03 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]use the imgur upload tool that martec wrote a tutorial about.  you tell the app which image to use and it'll automatically add the image inside [img] tags inside the post for you.

Doesn't this mean that that picture is then hosted publicly for anyone, even those not on my forum, to view?
Pages: 1 2 3 4