MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: tag users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
the ability to alert a user inside a thread and/or a post using something like @username would be a very nice feature, I believe. this will help keep the forums competitive with the growing trend to use social media sites for discussions. with 2.0 adding the like feature, a facebook thing, really, this would also be a nice addition as well.

I looked through the first 4 pages of threads in this section and didn't see anything for this. if there is, and I missed it, I apologize.
Though I can't confirm anything officially I'm pretty sure some of those "smaller" features will be implemented. Also (as nothing like this has been implemented so far) we may end with a slightly different implementation (eg to handle special characters, especially whitespaces).
It is likely this will be implemented using a similar technique to Wildcard's mentionMe, with the form @"Username here" for usernames with spaces.
(2015-04-24, 08:07 PM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]Though I can't confirm anything officially I'm pretty sure some of those "smaller" features will be implemented. Also (as nothing like this has been implemented so far) we may end with a slightly different implementation (eg to handle special characters, especially whitespaces).

(2015-04-24, 08:19 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]It is likely this will be implemented using a similar technique to Wildcard's mentionMe, with the form @"Username here" for usernames with spaces.

however you guys think it'll work best.  it'll definitely be an awesome feature, if implemented, and help bring mybb to the next level.   Smile

I had thought there was plugin that accomplished this, but I wasn't sure who made it or what it was called.  I shall go check out wildcard's mentionme plugin to see if it'll work for 1.8 for now.
Hi,

Your feature suggestion has been accepted as a planned feature to be implemented in MyBB 2.0. Thanks for your contribution!
Cool Smile And we will get an alert when someone tag us?
Of course Smile
Can there be a dual relationship between posts and users, and users and tags in a post?

ie. ALL public groups with users should be able to be searched and AJAX'ed in for autocomplete?

users tagged in a post then have tags of that posts or just postID assigned to them?

eg....post about Paris, France, you tag a French user, and all the tags in the post about food, wine etc or just the postID are allocated to him?
That sounds like something pretty niche to me that would be better as a plugin really. The tagging system will act similarly to Twitter's mentions.
And what about when a user changes their name and then another user takes it? I personally just don't believe in tagging users on a forum. I can already just say @andrewjs18. I don't know the additional good it will do to have that as a profile link to the user. We already have a quote and multi-quote system and a planned notification system.

It's features like this that create bloat-ware.
Pages: 1 2