MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB2 _ based on Laravel or YII ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2015-05-09, 03:52 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]Community driven is more then reporting possible bugs/features in the forum here, waiting for the team to push the issues to github and send a pull request there. Community driven allows the community to have some influence on decisions and not just supporting the development with pieces of code or bug reports.
And MyBB is a community supported project - which is okay by the way.

you read this?
http://community.mybb.com/thread-167339.html

I lost hope in Community driven been a long time

Mybb not want create area to Develpement Discussion. Different of phpbb https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/ .
Martec, we do have an area for development discussions. In fact, we have many. The problem is that they are not particularly well organised, which is something everybody agrees on. We as a team know this, and are working on restructuring and organising things. I'm sorry we haven't jumped and done things exactly as you want them the instant you said we should.
(2015-05-10, 10:22 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Martec, we do have an area for development discussions.

if nobody not know what code will develop so personally is not having any development discussion.
Personally Development discussion is made upon what will develop.
This is example https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic...84&t=42829 , one feature first confirmed, after feature details are discussed (for me detail of discussion is development discussions).
What has in mybb is suggestions makers folder only, it is not to mention that is already in chaos...

(2015-05-10, 10:22 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]In fact, we have many. The problem is that they are not particularly well organised, which is something everybody agrees on. We as a team know this, and are working on restructuring and organising things. I'm sorry we haven't jumped and done things exactly as you want them the instant you said we should.

really this is complicated for now? http://community.mybb.com/thread-167339-...pid1142557

(2015-02-21, 06:58 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]if not possible made anything for now...
so create reject folder to put repeated suggestions to reduce pollution in folder of suggestion.
or suggestions that not has any chance like CMS integration.
This makes it less chaos.

I can not see any force trying to change the current structure.
This thread is going off-topic. The intent of the thread by the OP was to discuss whether Yii or Laravel was being used for MyBB 2.0. Which has been discussed and retrospected.

If we're now starting to talk about the development practices and organisation of feedback and suggestions then I think it's appropriate to open a new thread Smile
(2015-05-10, 10:46 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-10, 10:22 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Martec, we do have an area for development discussions.

if nobody not know what code will develop so personally is not having any development discussion.
Personally Development discussion is made upon what will develop.

Sorry, but I don't understand what exactly you're trying to say here?

(2015-05-10, 10:46 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]This is example https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic...84&t=42829 , one feature first confirmed, after feature details are discussed (for me detail of discussion is development discussions).
What has in mybb is suggestions makers folder only, it is not to mention that is already in chaos...

(2015-05-10, 10:22 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]In fact, we have many. The problem is that they are not particularly well organised, which is something everybody agrees on. We as a team know this, and are working on restructuring and organising things. I'm sorry we haven't jumped and done things exactly as you want them the instant you said we should.

really this is complicated for now? http://community.mybb.com/thread-167339-...pid1142557

(2015-02-21, 06:58 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]if not possible made anything for now...
so create reject folder to put repeated suggestions to reduce pollution in folder of suggestion.
or suggestions that not has any chance like CMS integration.
This makes it less chaos.

I can not see any force trying to change the current structure.

I have not disagreed with your points. I have in fact agreed with exactly what I think you're trying to say. Perhaps a less hostile attitude would help you when trying to get your point across?
(2015-05-10, 08:27 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Yes Twig has been firmly settled on. Other options were evaluated (including the Blade engine provided with Laravel), but we chose Twig for the following reasons:

• Security - Twig will only allow pre-defined functions and helpers. Tools like Blade allow the execution of PHP functions, using a headache for themes on the mods site.
  • Speed - Twig caches compiled templates, meaning there is very little performance hit.
  • Readability - Twig is widely used in many other projects and is very easy to read and understand.
  • Flexibility - Twig is very flexible, and additional helper functions and filters can easily be defined. For instance, we have a function called "render_profile_link", which will (as the name implies) render a fully formatted link to a user's profile.

I think a detailed explanation as to what software mybb 2.0 will run on and why might be in order.  I don't really see much of an explanation about any of this in either of the 2 dev blog posts.

you should put the horse before before the cart, not the cart before the horse.   Wink
The software is pretty much already announced: Laravel 5, with Twig for tempting. Both have already been announced Wink If you mean the requirements, PHP 5.4 and MySQL 5 or postgresql. Front end wise, it's jQuery running the JavaScript at the minute, and we're using SASS to build the default theme, with gulp.js to mange builds. This will likely change, as we plan to have some system to manage assets via the ACP, including JS scripts.
(2015-05-10, 07:47 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]The software is pretty much already announced: Laravel 5, with Twig for tempting. Both have already been announced Wink If you mean the requirements, PHP 5.4 and MySQL 5 or postgresql.

maybe more of the reasoning as to why those products were chosen might be the way to go then.
We have kind of already explained that, as is seen above. We will be doing a retrospective blog post explaining our choice of framework, as well as doing another post explaining our approach to the architecture of the project. As the first dev post said, we aim to be writing these posts at least once a month to provide an up-to-date commentary on the progress of the project. These posts will cover many things, including new features, enhancements and more technical details.

In the second post, I touched on some of the technical details, as is quoted below:

Quote:As we announced in our previous post, MyBB 2.0 is being developed using the Laravel 5.0 PHP framework, and utilising the Twig templating engine. In this post, we want to explore some of the more specific development practices and techniques that we are using in order to prepare third party developers for what’s to come. In MyBB 2.0, we have decided to follow the PSR-2 coding style, meaning our code styling rules of old are to be abandoned with the 1.x series of releases. This change means that the code behind MyBB follows a common standard followed by many other modern PHP applications, meaning switching between differing platforms during development should be far simpler. Additionally, MyBB 2.0 follows the PSR-4 autoloading standard and utilises the Composer dependency manager to manage third party libraries and dependencies. Both of the above are common standards and tools used to develop modern PHP applications and should provide a much easier entrance to writing extensions and modifications for the MyBB platform. As part of the development process, several core components of the core MyBB system are being split off into separate packages. This allows core components from MyBB which were previously tightly coupled to the main codebase to be easily used in other projects. So far, we have split packages for parsing posts from BBCode to HTML (and performing filtering on said parsed HTML), as well as our core settings package. As we progress, other core components will be split into reusable packages and released for public use. All of these packages will feature a full set of unit tests and documentation for usage and will be installable within any Composer based project. This means that projects building upon a MyBB core can easily utilise well tested components core to their forum platform and build on top of the solid base we have already provided. In the future, we will be doing development posts focusing on individual packages that are available for use, including examine their package structure and the features they provide. This will start next month with a look at our core settings package, which provides both general board settings and individual user settings.

Even today, I posted an update explaining our new software license and the reasoning behind this change going forwards.

I hope this evidenced the fact we're trying to be more open, but it is a systematic process. We're more of a big lumbering elephant than a small fast moving whippet at the minute Wink
(2015-05-10, 07:51 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]We have kind of already explained that, as is seen above. We will be doing a retrospective blog post explaining our choice of framework, as well as doing another post explaining our approach to the architecture of the project. As the first dev post said, we aim to be writing these posts at least once a month to provide an up-to-date commentary on the progress of the project. These posts will cover many things, including new features, enhancements and more technical details.

In the second post, I touched on some of the technical details, as is quoted below:

Quote:As we announced in our previous post, MyBB 2.0 is being developed using the Laravel 5.0 PHP framework, and utilising the Twig templating engine. In this post, we want to explore some of the more specific development practices and techniques that we are using in order to prepare third party developers for what’s to come. In MyBB 2.0, we have decided to follow the PSR-2 coding style, meaning our code styling rules of old are to be abandoned with the 1.x series of releases. This change means that the code behind MyBB follows a common standard followed by many other modern PHP applications, meaning switching between differing platforms during development should be far simpler. Additionally, MyBB 2.0 follows the PSR-4 autoloading standard and utilises the Composer dependency manager to manage third party libraries and dependencies. Both of the above are common standards and tools used to develop modern PHP applications and should provide a much easier entrance to writing extensions and modifications for the MyBB platform. As part of the development process, several core components of the core MyBB system are being split off into separate packages. This allows core components from MyBB which were previously tightly coupled to the main codebase to be easily used in other projects. So far, we have split packages for parsing posts from BBCode to HTML (and performing filtering on said parsed HTML), as well as our core settings package. As we progress, other core components will be split into reusable packages and released for public use. All of these packages will feature a full set of unit tests and documentation for usage and will be installable within any Composer based project. This means that projects building upon a MyBB core can easily utilise well tested components core to their forum platform and build on top of the solid base we have already provided. In the future, we will be doing development posts focusing on individual packages that are available for use, including examine their package structure and the features they provide. This will start next month with a look at our core settings package, which provides both general board settings and individual user settings.

Even today, I posted an update explaining our new software license and the reasoning behind this change going forwards.

I hope this evidenced the fact we're trying to be more open, but it is a systematic process. We're more of a big lumbering elephant than a small fast moving whippet at the minute Wink

right, but it came AFTER people asked for that information.  don't you think this should of been relayed in a blog post PRIOR to writing dev blogs about the new product?  I think a blog post with the stuff you mentioned here should be written, no?

I saw the new blog post and I appreciate the update.

also, if you read through (especially the stuff about the polls) this thread, I think you'll see what Lennart is trying to say...
Pages: 1 2 3 4