MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Private usergroups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A much better way for members to create their own private groups.  Right now an admin has to go through hoops and track requests.  I would suggest creating a grouping level that will give permission to members automatically once they reach a certain level (or not) to create a private group and even then customize how many they can create.   Maybe even create a new area where those members can create "forums" but it's aesthetically different as to not create confusion on where they are posting, ie public forum or private groups.  This is feature implemented on most forum/community software and is glaringly missing in MyBB.
I don't think it would be a good built-in addition, maybe in a plugin, but not in the core structure.
(2015-07-17, 11:03 PM)Lektz Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it would be a good built-in addition, maybe in a plugin, but not in the core structure.

The usegroup function already exists. I just think there is a better way to structure how permissions are handled.  Giving users permissions to create usergroups isn't that deep.
I really don't see this being used on the majority of boards, and it would therefore be better off as a plugin IMO.
This feature is available in almost every platform BUT MyBB.  It's the reason I'm looking to move away from MyBB when it's so readily available across multiple platforms.  I'm not saying that to be facetious, it just happens to be the one sticking point for me.  But to say it's not available in the majority of boards is falste.  Why would you need a plugin for the most simplest of solutions which would be to give permissions to a specific usergroup to create a usergroup?  I feel MyBB is rich is so many areas, it just lacks this simple function, and because it is not only available in other major forums, but it is heavily used.  I've been doing this research for a few months now, and got serious the last two weeks.  Maybe adding an "additional area" for groups may be too much for development but giving group permissions shouldn't be.  It won't be completely competitive to other software, but it's a simple solution to start.
I really can't see the use case for allowing users to create user groups - what is the point? Administrators can already create usergroups with custom permissions, why would you want your users to be able to do so?

If I remember correctly, dragonexpert does have a plugin for 1.8 to do this, so it's likely he'll recreate it for 2.0. I really don't see it as an essential feature that should be in the core though.

Here's dragonexpert's 1.8 plugin for reference: https://github.com/dragonexpert/Social-Groups
(2015-07-18, 02:04 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I really can't see the use case for allowing users to create user groups - what is the point? Administrators can already create usergroups with custom permissions, why would you want your users to be able to do so?

If I remember correctly, dragonexpert does have a plugin for 1.8 to do this, so it's likely he'll recreate it for 2.0. I really don't see it as an essential feature that should be in the core though.

Here's dragonexpert's 1.8 plugin for reference: https://github.com/dragonexpert/Social-Groups

I tried that plugin months ago.  It doesn't work and I believe dragonexpert said he isn't/wasn't committed to it any longer.  The point of allowing people to create groups is to give the their own "private" part of the forum.  For reasons probably having to do with the fact they are more free to express themselves in their own area, it my guess for at least one reason.  It is obviously a much needed feature because as I've mentioned it us offered and used across the majority of community and forum driven software. I suspect mostly used for fan and gaming sites. Having administrators do it, is time consuming and labor intensive and because it's a hassle on the member end they never do it.  They don't want to interact with admins begging for permission to create their own group.  They just won't do it.  I wouldn't do it.
Surely won't private conversations pretty much do exactly that though? Private conversations can have many users chatting in private amongst themselves, pretty much like their own private topic - surely that achieves the same thing?
(2015-07-18, 09:52 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Surely won't private conversations pretty much do exactly that though? Private conversations can have many users chatting in private amongst themselves, pretty much like their own private topic - surely that achieves the same thing?

I don't know.  I've never seen private conversations aside from one on one.  Does it have the functions as group or private forum?  Likes, attachments, reply with quotes, different topics instead of ONE long conversation?
It has attachments and quotes, but no likes (as likes given in private tend to look a little weird on a user's profile). It's all one long conversation, but you can have several conversations with the same participants with different titles.
Pages: 1 2