MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Please continue updates for 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I saw that you have mention that support / updates for 1.6 going to stop on September 2015. But we have many issue with 1.8 when convert 1.6 to 1.8.

So I am requesting to continue for update for this version also.

Thanks
Hi, we announced the EOL of 1.6 a while ago now and we will be going ahead with it. We cannot support old software indefinitely. If you have found bugs in 1.8, it's always best to report them so that we can fix them.
(2015-07-24, 03:27 PM)freeeducation365 Wrote: [ -> ]I saw that you have mention that support / updates for 1.6 going to stop on September 2015. But we have many issue with 1.8 when convert 1.6 to 1.8.

Thanks

What issues are you experiencing with 1.8? September is still a nice time frame to put in some fixes (as of course, anyone can contribute) so your best bet is to describe what you're having issues with.
Most issues are with themes and (in a somewhat lesser extent) plugins, I assume.
You may hope that theme and plugin builders will come with new 1.8 versions of their themes and plugins.

The fact that there is already serious talk about MyBB 2.0, does not really contribute to the drive to invest further into 1.8, however.
MyBB 1.8, as we have said several times, will be supported after 2.0 is released. It is likely it'll continue to be supported for at least 18 months after the gold release of MyBB 2.0, including patches and full forum support. This isn't a new thing - we've always maintained past versions after feature releases for a fixed period, the same as every other software company in the world.
(2015-07-24, 08:17 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]we've always maintained past versions after feature releases for a fixed period, the same as every other software company in the world.

You can have different opinions about the length of these periods.

But I am not complaining, I follow the newest route but I am able to do that because I am not dependent on fancy themes and plugins. It is a disappointing fact however, that a lot of material developed for 1.6 has not been upgraded to 1.8.
Yes, there can be many different opinions and everybody is entitled to their own. We as a team feel that 18 months is generally long enough however.

I will agree that it is disappointing that a lot of plugins have been abandoned, but there isn't anything we can do about that.
MyBB is free, so it is what it is.

I understand both sides, I don't personally like the major software upgrades because it uproots the community when it breaks themes & plugins. I'm not just speaking about 1.6 > 1.8. 1.2 to 1.4 and 1.4 to 1.6 were painful enough. I wouldn't want to make the jump to 1.8 then again to 2.0.

I'm looking for more stability. And the answer may lie with the paid ones. I have a vBulletin board that have run a long time just fine on an outdated software, but security updates continue to be released for it. That's of course a paid software.
Yes, paid software companies have more of an incentive to maintain support for paying customers. As a free product, our staff obviously want to work on the latest and greatest rather than continuously updating older software.
(2015-07-24, 06:30 PM)Alex - Arvixe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-24, 03:27 PM)freeeducation365 Wrote: [ -> ]I saw that you have mention that support / updates for 1.6 going to stop on September 2015. But we have many issue with 1.8 when convert 1.6 to 1.8.

Thanks

What issues are you experiencing with 1.8? September is still a nice time frame to put in some fixes (as of course, anyone can contribute) so your best bet is to describe what you're having issues with.

The Biggest issue is My site visitor went down by 50% after upgrade to 1.8.

Then I restore my old database and install 1.6 again. Now my visitors are increasing. The Problem was My site didn't appear well in Google Search results.

(2015-07-24, 06:30 PM)Alex - Arvixe Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks

The Biggest issue is My site visitor went down by 50% after upgrade to 1.8.

Then I restore my old database and install 1.6 again. Now my visitors are increasing. The Problem was My site didn't appear well in Google Search results.

I also had issued with themes and plugin. But most plugin can fix
Pages: 1 2