MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: bug with microsoft edge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have customers reporting this issue to me. Does this affect 1.6 also and is there a hot fix around around here at mybb ?
I don't see why it wouldn't affect 1.6 and that branch is not supported/developed anymore anyways.

A temporary fix would be editing the redirect template to anything other than <meta http-equiv="refresh" ... />. Javascript redirection, for instance. We could do that in the core too and fallback to <meta> in a <noscript> tag.
(2015-11-25, 03:02 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]A temporary fix would be editing the redirect template to anything other than <meta http-equiv="refresh" ... />. Javascript redirection, for instance. We could do that in the core too and fallback to <meta> in a <noscript> tag.
MyBB uses xhtml and as far as I know the noscript tag is not supported in xhtml... in html 4.1 only in the body element (excluding your solution anyway). Only in html 5.0 noscript tags are allowed in the head element.

So the question is ... how many browsers would this solution break for fixing an issue in one browser without much relevance ...
(2015-11-25, 04:41 PM)Nik101010 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-25, 03:02 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]A temporary fix would be editing the redirect template to anything other than <meta http-equiv="refresh" ... />. Javascript redirection, for instance. We could do that in the core too and fallback to <meta> in a <noscript> tag.
MyBB uses xhtml and as far as I know the noscript tag is not supported in xhtml... in html 4.1 only in the body element (excluding your solution anyway). Only in html 5.0 noscript tags are allowed in the head element.

So the question is ... how many browsers would this solution break for fixing an issue in one browser without much relevance ...

It wouldn't break very many. Firefox, Safari, Chrome (and all deviations from the Chromium project), and even Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 all support HTML 5. I'm sure Opera supports HTML 5 too, though I'm not sure how many actually use Opera when visiting forums. Most people visiting forums avoid using Internet Explorer, I don't think we'll have a compatibility problem when going to HTML 5. The only people that might use Internet Explorer would be developers to maintain compatibility with the small few that still linger to a weak, broken browser of earlier versions.
(2015-11-25, 08:51 PM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]It wouldn't break very many. Firefox, Safari, Chrome (and all deviations from the Chromium project), and even Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 all support HTML 5. I'm sure Opera supports HTML 5 too, though I'm not sure how many actually use Opera when visiting forums.
Sure all major browsers support HTML5 ... the issue is - currently MyBB does not use HTML5, but XHTML. So the question is, how do browsers handle HTML5 syntax within a document defined as XHTML ... and just changing the definition from XHTML to HTML5 changes semantics of several tags and I do not know if such tags are used within current MyBB templates.
I never include the doctype tag in any of my HTML documents. I'm already into the habit of closing all tags, even the tags such as the br tag. As long as MyBB keeps that habit up, HTML5 should work fine in a XHTML defined document (or template in this case).

http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/#doc...eclaration
And I think this page may confirm it, if I understood it correctly.
<noscript> isn't even necessary in this case, could make the JS time slightly shorter than the meta time and I guess that would work too.
(2015-11-25, 03:02 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see why it wouldn't affect 1.6 and that branch is not supported/developed anymore anyways.

A temporary fix would be editing the redirect template to anything other than <meta http-equiv="refresh" ... />. Javascript redirection, for instance. We could do that in the core too and fallback to <meta> in a <noscript> tag.

This issue remains in quick reply at least. 

Can someone give the exact steps to fix issue for a layman?  eg. 1) Open this template 2) Go to this line 3) Insert this code

Not sure if MyBB staff are aware, but Edge is becoming huge due to the big rollout of free Windows 10. Many people are ditching Chrome for it (I'm one of them, on tablet at least).
Edge is a crap... use another browser
(2016-02-23, 08:09 AM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]This issue remains in quick reply at least.

You're the first to mention quick reply, I haven't noticed any quick reply problem on Edge either (but then I tested MyBB on it last time ~3 months ago and MS may have broken something else in the meanwhile). This thread is about another issue. Please open a new one with reproduction steps if you experience something else.

(2016-02-23, 08:09 AM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if MyBB staff are aware, but Edge is becoming huge due to the big rollout of free Windows 10. Many people are ditching Chrome for it (I'm one of them, on tablet at least).

I'm personally not aware since I'd rather ditch the whole Windows 10 (if I actually used it for purposes other than testing) rather than Chrome/Firefox/Opera.
EDIT: also, statistically, in different sources Edge has so far ~0.5-2% of the market share, still much less than IE.. So I wouldn't say it's a high priotrity issue yet.
Pages: 1 2 3