MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: social media registrations/logins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi, right now I am using social media login by shade, when the time comes to upgrade to 2.0, will my registered users (using shade plugin) still able to login using this built in feature? Will they need to re-register?
I've not looked at Shade's plugin much, but we might be able to create an upgrade module for it. We don't want to get in the habit of providing upgrade modules for every plugin though.
I'm all for this as long as it is possible to configure the list of social media sites (including adding custom ones via plugin). I would strongly advise against any social media site specific columns in the core MyBB schema.
(2015-09-03, 08:31 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I've not looked at Shade's plugin much, but we might be able to create an upgrade module for it. We don't want to get in the habit of providing upgrade modules for every plugin though.

if a core feature is eliminating the need for a popular plugin - Shade's twitter & facebook plugins as an example - I think a converter should be written, if possible.

(2015-09-03, 03:37 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm all for this as long as it is possible to configure the list of social media sites (including adding custom ones via plugin). I would strongly advise against any social media site specific columns in the core MyBB schema.

why not?
(2015-09-03, 07:14 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-03, 08:31 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I've not looked at Shade's plugin much, but we might be able to create an upgrade module for it. We don't want to get in the habit of providing upgrade modules for every plugin though.

if a core feature is eliminating the need for a popular plugin - Shade's twitter & facebook plugins as an example - I think a converter should be written, if possible.

Yes, but there are also several other plugins that either do or have provided the same functionality. I simply mean that we cannot be expected to support them all out of the box Smile
(2015-09-03, 07:14 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-03, 03:37 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm all for this as long as it is possible to configure the list of social media sites (including adding custom ones via plugin). I would strongly advise against any social media site specific columns in the core MyBB schema.

why not?

Social media sites rise and fall. MyBB 1.0 introduced a fixed list of profiles for social media sites, many of which are defunct or waning in popularity. If we continue after this fashion, we would need a new version of MyBB every time a new social media site starts to become popular or another site is no longer relevant.

Instead, core MyBB schema should follow a pattern similar to the Social Sites plugin. There is a table with a row per social site. The columns in the table are generic enough (profile_url, like_url, share_url, etc) to use for all social media sites.
Whenever MyBB 2.0 will get out with this feature implemented, I am available to write down a migrator from MyFacebook, MyTwitter and MyGoogle+ Connect to MyBB's core.
(2015-09-23, 04:25 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]Whenever MyBB 2.0 will get out with this feature implemented, I am available to write down a migrator from MyFacebook, MyTwitter and MyGoogle+ Connect to MyBB's core.

Great... thanks Shade
But I think there should also be an disable button, just in case if anyone don't have port 443 open in their site !
(2015-08-22, 09:14 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, this is definitely planned. At the least we will likely support Facebook, Twitter ad Google with the option to easily add more (and future updates possibly adding more).

How about GitHub?
Pages: 1 2 3