MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: social media registrations/logins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2016-11-29, 08:19 PM)KingLinux01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-22, 09:14 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, this is definitely planned. At the least we will likely support Facebook, Twitter ad Google with the option to easily add more (and future updates possibly adding more).

How about GitHub?

I believe Laravel has a Socialite provider for this, so it should be very doable. I think it's just questionable how many forums would actually use it (other than dev/SWE ones), so having it an a default option might not make tons of sense.
Not that I disagree with the suggestion but I disagree with the concept from an admin perspective. When you allow members to login with other social media accounts they are NOT your members. They are borrowed members from other sites.

You can't sign up at Facebook or Google with another account.
(2016-11-29, 09:50 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Not that I disagree with the suggestion but I disagree with the concept from an admin perspective. When you allow members to login with other social media accounts they are NOT your members.  They are borrowed members from other sites.  

true, but if allowing for 3rd party registration boosts forum participation, I don't see the issue.
I think a consideration needs to be noted for still requiring a password at some point. I have 2FA on my Facebook, Twitter and Google accounts, if I wanted to log in to the forum and didn't have my phone I'd be stuck. Some sites have an optional step to set a password, may need to have something like that.
(2016-11-29, 09:50 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Not that I disagree with the suggestion but I disagree with the concept from an admin perspective. When you allow members to login with other social media accounts they are NOT your members.  They are borrowed members from other sites.  

I have to agree with this. If this feature is implemented, i hope there will at least be the option to disable it from ACP.
(2016-11-30, 01:39 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]

I have to agree with this. If this feature is implemented, i hope there will at least be the option to disable it from ACP.

Of course there would be, along with strings to enable/disable individual providers.
I'd prefer smart linking and validation to accounts like Google or Facebook instead of actual registration.
^ you can try using Social Login plugin
Pages: 1 2 3