MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: URL structure, meta tags and canonicals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2015-11-07, 06:27 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-07, 06:24 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't use any resources, as IDs will be preserved during the upgrade.

not?
for me till rewrite htaccess use resource of server...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? The current pretty URLs you use use .htaccess rewrites too...
(2015-11-07, 08:33 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure I understand what you mean? The current pretty URLs you use use .htaccess rewrites too...

in others my forum i not use htaccess rewrites ...
ex: https://anime-forum.info/

i only not remove .htaccess rewrites in forum.minnasuki.com because of penalty
What with urls when someone uses plugin Google SEO?
(2015-11-18, 04:19 PM)bocian1994 Wrote: [ -> ]What with urls when someone uses plugin Google SEO?

We'll probably have some way to convert them to the new format. Even *if* we don't, Google will still pick up on the change and shouldn't penalize you a noticeable amount. All of the old URLs will 404 whilst Googlebot will also crawl the new ones and see the content matches.
If there's no 301 redirect for the old urls to new urls, your SEO position will be lost.
Build a plugin for the current version of MyBB.
(2015-11-18, 10:44 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]If there's no 301 redirect for the old urls to new urls, your SEO position will be lost.

In the short term, yes. Once recrawled, however, the "link juice" will make its way to the new pages. It's important to remember that even 301s carry a link juice penalty.

Again, having redirection built straight in is definitely a thing to shoot for, but it won't exactly ruin everybody's ranking in the long run if it's not in the core.
It actually will ruin your rankings that you may have spent years building up. All your external links will be broken without redirects in place. Google does not like 404s anyway for a good user experience, they should be 410'd if not 301 redirected. If there's no 301 system it will be good for sites that are starting out only.
(2015-11-18, 10:44 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]If there's no 301 redirect for the old urls to new urls, your SEO position will be lost.

As I've already said, MyBB standard URLs (so either showthread.php?pid=X or thread-X.html) will have 301 redirects. We won't support any other URL structures that are non-standard.
(2015-11-19, 12:06 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]

As I've already said, MyBB standard URLs (so either showthread.php?pid=X or thread-X.html) will have 301 redirects. We won't support any other URL structures that are non-standard.

is it advisable that people using google seo right now switch back to the default mybb url structure?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6