MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: URL structure, meta tags and canonicals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2016-05-02, 10:03 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-05-02, 07:44 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Something like the "Thread Description" plugins should be made core in MyBB 2.0; the first 250 characters or so is what is shown by default by most bots in search results.

(2016-05-02, 09:11 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]That is already implemented, as explained in the first post...

Reading this thread, it sounds like the meta description tag will be populated by the first x characters. I was simply stating that allowing the thread creator to specify a description (which could be edited by mods / admin) would be better. Maybe my suggestion would be an enhancement for a later release.

That could be possible, but we're trying to simplify things for normal users where possible. If we did provide such an option, it would have to default to being filled automatically and possibly be hidden as a collapsible box or a modal or something.
(2016-05-03, 10:18 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-05-02, 07:44 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Something like the "Thread Description" plugins should be made core in MyBB 2.0; the first 250 characters or so is what is shown by default by most bots in search results.

(2016-05-02, 09:11 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]That is already implemented, as explained in the first post...

Reading this thread, it sounds like the meta description tag will be populated by the first x characters. I was simply stating that allowing the thread creator to specify a description (which could be edited by mods / admin) would be better. Maybe my suggestion would be an enhancement for a later release.

That could be possible, but we're trying to simplify things for normal users where possible. If we did provide such an option, it would have to default to being filled automatically and possibly be hidden as a collapsible box or a modal or something.

Since it may have huge SEO impact I'd recommend it as an admin only option anyway.
(2016-05-03, 12:40 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-05-03, 10:18 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]

Since it may have huge SEO impact I'd recommend it as an admin only option anyway.

I can see some cases where Moderators might need access too, so it'd probably be a usergroup permission with the default being administrators only.
The description doesn't affect the Page Rank, but shows up on the search results page, so I agree that moderators should have permission to alter them.
Ofc, the description affect in position in search. I think that this option (editing description) sholud be available to set in groups. Administrators will decide who can, who can't.
Good to hear about the features and the link structure used in MyBB 2.0.
(2015-11-19, 12:06 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-18, 10:44 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]If there's no 301 redirect for the old urls to new urls, your SEO position will be lost.

As I've already said, MyBB standard URLs (so either showthread.php?pid=X or thread-X.html) will have 301 redirects. We won't support any other URL structures that are non-standard.

Euan T, support old Google SEO urls for new version MyBB is very necessary. Take care of the people who constantly and loyalty use your forum script, and the truth is that without Google Seo plugin can not work well.
(2016-09-21, 08:06 PM)Testowy94 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-19, 12:06 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-18, 10:44 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]If there's no 301 redirect for the old urls to new urls, your SEO position will be lost.

As I've already said, MyBB standard URLs (so either showthread.php?pid=X or thread-X.html) will have 301 redirects. We won't support any other URL structures that are non-standard.

Euan T, support old Google SEO urls for new version MyBB is very necessary. Take care of the people who constantly and loyalty use your forum script, and the truth is that without Google Seo plugin can not work well.

Third party plugins are just that - third party. There are several plugins that change URLs (including the old MySEO) and we cannot possibly support them all. I'm sure some developers will come up with a way to support old URLs created by third party systems.
@Testowy94:
You can just write rules to redirect (301) old urls to new...

Oh... sorry... default Google SEO settings are "problematic", because it doesn't force identifier...
(2016-10-06, 08:03 PM)lukasamd Wrote: [ -> ]@Testowy94:
You can just write rules to redirect (301) old urls to new...

Oh... sorry... default Google SEO settings are "problematic", because it doesn't force identifier...

Yep, that's the exact problem.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6