MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Liking content
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
In 2.0, we've added the ability to "like" content. This like system provides a very simplistic implementation allowing only the liking of content, not the "disliking". However, the system is extremely easy to extend and to implement on custom content types. This feature has been often requested throughout MyBB 1.x's lifetime and there have been a large number of third party plugins implemented to perform this. As a core feature of 2.0, we will be looking at providing upgrade paths for common third party plugins to import old likes into 2.0. We haven't yet finalised a list of which plugins will be supported, but will be deciding this nearer release and providing an easy way to hook in for other plugins that aren't supported.

[Image: screen-shot-2015-04-13-at-23-18-52.png]
Above is a screenshot of a post that has received several likes.

It's also extremely easy for developers to add support for likes to their content types, requiring only the implementing of a Trait upon their models:

<?php

namespace MyBB\Core\Database\Models;

use Illuminate\Database\Eloquent\Model;
use Illuminate\Database\Eloquent\SoftDeletes;
use MyBB\Core\Likes\Traits\LikeableTrait;

class Post extends Model implements HasPresenter
{
    use SoftDeletes;
    use LikeableTrait;

// The rest of your database model implementation code goes here...
}
Providing feedback

Please feel free to provide any feedback regarding the way that likes are styled or presented. We do not wish to extend the functionality past a basic "like" for a post, so we will not be implementing things such as "dislike" in the core.
Will this affect reputation? or is reputation even coming to 2.0?
We're not currently planning on havin reputation, only likes.
Finally in the core Smile Awesome
If Likes is being implemented without reputation in the core, then I think reputation should be a plugin instead. I don't really see a reason to have both for the "out of the box" setup. Poeple keep wanting MyBB to be a Facebook replacement, so I don't doubt someone will request a "dislike" feature built into the core.

I'm hoping MyBB continues to enforce their decision to leave the "dislike/downvote" option out of the core and that option remain a plugin-only option.
(2015-09-15, 08:31 PM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]If Likes is being implemented without reputation in the core, then I think reputation should be a plugin instead. I don't really see a reason to have both for the "out of the box" setup. Poeple keep wanting MyBB to be a Facebook replacement, so I don't doubt someone will request a "dislike" feature built into the core.

I'm hoping MyBB continues to enforce their decision to leave the "dislike/downvote" option out of the core and that option remain a plugin-only option.

while I don't disagree with you regarding the dislike/downvote stuff, social media is here, and trying to fight it is simply a losing battle. I'm very excited to see that mybb is adding the like button in core.
I know it's not likely at all, but I wish 2.0 had a dislike button in its core too. The rep system is unique(?) to MyBB and not any(?) other forum softwares come with a positive AND negative rep/like system.

(?) = Unconfirmed
(2015-09-16, 02:03 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]while I don't disagree with you regarding the dislike/downvote stuff, social media is here, and trying to fight it is simply a losing battle. I'm very excited to see that mybb is adding the like button in core.

People just need to stop pushing for forum software to look, and act, more like Facebook instead of what the forum was originally designed and intended to be used for. If they want to run their own Facebook, then those people need to stop being lazy, look for a proper social networking software, such as Dolphin for example, and go install that. I guess I will never understand this obsession people have of wanting forum software to function just like Facebook.
I would be totally against like instead of rep. My site uses a visible rep system whereby a post that recieves rep shows it in the same manner as a like. Yaldaram made it for me as a custom job and I would not upgrade if it meant losing the feature which is popular with my users.

Example: https://esforum.org/showthread.php?tid=9...#pid172707
Reputation assigned to a single post will be upgraded into likes during the upgrade process, so you shouldn't lose any data if the plugin works as it should.
Pages: 1 2 3 4