MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: post edit history
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2015-08-23, 08:47 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-23, 08:25 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]The database size is surely not a reason for a decision for us (except saving attachments in the database, that won't happen). We won't bloat the database of course but saving the edited post, the editor and the timestamp won't do that.

only post table in my forum has more than 200 MB...
if save all change edit of all users... and with possibility to one post edited several times (if user edited one post 3 times, is same thing that user made 4 posts)... will become easily the second most used table in the system.

If you want to save only bad message to a user before it will edit It is much smarter use plugin like Report post to forum and more usefull too personally  (to discuss reported message between moderators before take some action).

Unless post edit history has another purpose.

It would only use the database space if you had the feature enabled. Don't want it? Don't turn it on. It's really that simple. If enough other people want it, I don't see a reason not to add it apart from you not wanting it. The needs of many far outweigh the needs of one.
(2015-08-23, 08:49 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-23, 08:47 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-23, 08:25 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]The database size is surely not a reason for a decision for us (except saving attachments in the database, that won't happen). We won't bloat the database of course but saving the edited post, the editor and the timestamp won't do that.

only post table in my forum has more than 200 MB...
if save all change edit of all users... and with possibility to one post edited several times (if user edited one post 3 times, is same thing that user made 4 posts)... will become easily the second most used table in the system.

If you want to save only bad message to a user before it will edit It is much smarter use plugin like Report post to forum and more usefull too personally  (to discuss reported message between moderators before take some action).

Unless post edit history has another purpose.

It would only use the database space if you had the feature enabled. Don't want it? Don't turn it on. It's really that simple. If enough other people want it, I don't see a reason not to add it apart from you not wanting it. The needs of many far outweigh the needs of one.

already has plugin of this in 1.8. for me better as plugin.
and it's is only my opinion of this sugestion. i only saying about consequence in activate this feature in database.

and what problem i saying against about this... when i suggested another thing, other people said thing even worse.
Maybe because you've made your suggestion inside another thread? We've explicitly asked for suggestions to be kept one suggestion per thread so that we can easily track them. People are entitled to their opinions and can disagree with any suggestions they wish. In the end, it all comes down to time and resources available which features we actually implement. Having an endless list of 1000000 features will mean 2.0 will never be released.
I was just arguing because it's better as this plugin. If take my point otherwise so sorry, because this was not my intention this.
anyways...

features:
- the ability to turn it on/off
- prune old edit history
- group permissions to allow/deny the ability to view edit history
- option to show how many edits will be shown
This is the kind of feature that I could see landing in one of the 2.x releases but probably not 2.0 due to the amount we need to get done if 2.0 is going to see the light of day Smile
(2015-08-23, 08:08 PM)Will P Wrote: [ -> ]This is the kind of feature that I could see landing in one of the 2.x releases but probably not 2.0 due to the amount we need to get done if 2.0 is going to see the light of day Smile

that's fine with me. at least the idea is out there now. Smile
good idea...
xenforo has something like...
I'd like to see it added too.
I can see two types of pruning: by edit count (keep the last x edits) or by time (keep the current copy plus all edits made within the last x days).
Pages: 1 2 3