MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the "Find Updated Templates" ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I'm follow the guides upgrading and i have a question : What is the 'Find Updated Templates' ? What is it to do ?
This is my first time to upgrade new version. That is to do what ? Confused

[attachment=35442]

Thanks.
that gives the list of templates which are changed/updated during the upgrade... you can do a diff check to see what was changed during the update and edit them if required...
(2015-10-28, 06:24 AM)mmadhankumar Wrote: [ -> ]that gives the list of templates which are changed/updated during the upgrade... you can do a diff check to see what was changed during the update and edit them if required...

Ok. So, it's just to read changed things. I got it. Thank you  Angel
Correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't Find Updated Templates show templates which have not been upgraded during the upgrade despite them being changed in the new version of myBB? The reason for this being that these very templates had been changed by the forum owner prior to the upgrade? So to prevent loss of forum owner's changes the templates are left untouched? And unless we click "revert templates" or insert the changes made in the upgrade manually the changes will not be implemented?
i believe it works like this...

1. No custom changes by owner -- no changes in upgrade -- template remain untouched -- will not be listed in "Find updated templates" list

2. No custom changes by owner -- template have changes in upgrade -- template will be updated to new version -- will be listed in "Find updated templates" list

3. custom changes by owner -- no changes in upgrade -- template remain untouched -- will not be listed in "Find updated templates" list

4. custom changes by owner -- template have changes in upgrade -- template will be updated with new codes but custom changes will be kept intact -- will be listed in "Find updated templates" list and will show both custom and core changes made in the template
(2015-11-01, 12:40 PM)mmadhankumar Wrote: [ -> ]i believe it works like this...

1. No custom changes by owner -- no changes in upgrade -- template remain untouched -- will not be listed in "Find updated templates" list

Agree.

Quote:2. No custom changes by owner -- template have changes in upgrade -- template will be updated to new version -- will be listed in "Find updated templates" list

Pretty sure this is incorrect. It will not be listed in "Find Updated Templates".

Quote:3. custom changes by owner -- no changes in upgrade -- template remain untouched -- will not be listed in "Find updated templates" list

Agree.

Quote:4. custom changes by owner -- template have changes in upgrade -- template will be updated with new codes but custom changes will be kept intact  -- will be listed in "Find updated templates" list and will show both custom and core changes made in the template

If it only worked like this. I doubt it's true though, but not sure.
(2015-11-01, 12:14 PM)amanda2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't Find Updated Templates show templates which have not been upgraded during the upgrade despite them being changed in the new version of myBB?
Exactly... It shows templates that haven't been upgraded because they have been modified before. MyBB doesn't revert them because it could break plugins or the theme.
(2015-11-02, 12:04 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-01, 12:14 PM)amanda2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't Find Updated Templates show templates which have not been upgraded during the upgrade despite them being changed in the new version of myBB?
Exactly... It shows templates that haven't been upgraded because they have been modified before. MyBB doesn't revert them because it could break plugins or the theme.

May I suggest that a more detailed description/definition is made available in the ACP since there seems to be confusion about what "Find Updated Templates" means? It took us years to figure it out even though my SO is a computer engineer...

ETA: The following phrases in the Diff Report are also hard to interpret and could perhaps be worded more clearly as to be easier to understand (something to think about for 2.0 perhaps):

"Any customizations you've made to your templates (the old ones) are highlighted like this."
"Changes that have been made between your previous version and this one are highlighted like this."
The diff report just compares your template with the new default one. It doesn't distinguish between your customizations and changes between the MyBB versions.
(2015-11-04, 11:47 AM)amanda2014 Wrote: [ -> ]ETA: The following phrases in the Diff Report are also hard to interpret and could perhaps be worded more clearly as to be easier to understand (something to think about for 2.0 perhaps):

"Any customizations you've made to your templates (the old ones) are highlighted like this."
"Changes that have been made between your previous version and this one are highlighted like this."

(2015-11-04, 12:09 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]The diff report just compares your template with the new default one. It doesn't distinguish between your customizations and changes between the MyBB versions.

So anything marked with green color means you yourself have added that to your template and it is not in the new default myBB one? And anything marked with red color means this is not in your template but it is in the new default myBB one?

Perhaps if you wrote something like this instead, it would be easier to understand:

"Any customizations you've added to your templates are highlighted like this." (green color)
"Differences between your templates and the new default myBB version are highlighted like this." (red color)

It isn't really a "previous version" of yours, is it, it's the present version, since myBB doesn't change templates which have been customized during an upgrade?
Pages: 1 2