MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Passwords from "Reset Password" not working & mailing issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello MyBB,

I would like to report two issues I and the members of a forum are experiencing with MyBB and also would like to request help/support to solve these issues if possible. The forum I am talking about is FreeVPS Directory & Discussion - https://freevps.us/ (a charity project running since 2010). You can find me there with the same nickname as here.

Issue 1: Passwords from "Reset/Forgot Password" are not working

Members who have forgot their passwords used the "Reset/Forgot Password" function to reset their password. The function sends the first e-mail with the password reset activation link (OK). And after the link was clicked it also sends the second e-mail with the new random temporary password (OK). However the password that is in the e-mail is NOT WORKING! It is not being accepted by MyBB. I have been able to reproduce this with a fresh test account. 

I cannot exactly tell since which version this issue started but I guess maybe since 1.8.6 as before this version we've never got any report from our users that the passwords from the "Reset/Forgot Password" function were not working. We have to reset the passwords manually in the Admin CP.

I found two similar threads:
http://community.mybb.com/thread-185544.html
http://community.mybb.com/thread-176849.html

Issue 2: A problem with the mailing system

We've first used a locally hosted exim4 MTA to send out e-mails for account activations, password resets, thread and PM subscriptions and et cetera. It hasn't been really reliable over time and so we switched to an external SMTP. We're now using Sendgrid to send all e-mails.

The problem: Even though we're using a 3rd party SMTP which is more reliable than our internal MTA the mail system is still not sending some mails. A lot of people enabled the option to get e-mails upon the event of receiving a private message. However MyBB does not send this messages out to them. I have checked the MyBB mail logs and our Sendgrid mail activity log and there is nothing. No error, no bounce, no drop or anything that would prevent a mail from being not sent. On Sendgrid the mails are not even in the activity log (like MyBB never sent them out at all).

There are some similar threads but I won't list them here as they are partially related to not receiving activation mails or other type of mails and may not be exactly the same issue.

Feel free to register at the forum and try to reproduce issues. You can PM me on the forum to test the issue regarding mails. Reproducing the password issue should be easy.

Thank you in advance Smile .

Cheers!

A little update:

We have now tried out SendGrid, MailGun and Elastic Mail. Some e-mails are sent out and others are not. There is a huge delay sometimes. Over 15 minutes. The internal MTA (exim4) also had a delay and also didn't send some mails.

I suppose it isn't a issue with the 3rd party SMTP services in this case if even the internal SMTP server had the same issues. And I noticed another thing: We have setup MyBB to log all mails but the system mail log is empty and the user mail log only has one mail in it sent by a use to another user.
Bump.

A bit more information if required. We're running the latest MyBB version and have always been upgrading (upgrade not new install).

Test account? Please sign up on the forum and feel free to test it. Nothing special required to sign up.
Re the password are you and/or your members typing the new password or copy and pasting?

I have found copy and paste doesn't always get accepted. It could be worth trying but I can't help with your other question.
Hello sarisisop,

It does not matter. I and a few members tried copy and paste and entering it manually. It is never accepted.

I tried it on multiple OSs already (Windows, Linux and Android from my side - don't have Mac OS, iOS).
Bump - this is unfortunately still not solved.
this issue is still very problematic..in fact, I had a user reply to the automatically generated email that it wasn't working just last week.
(2015-12-12, 09:29 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]this issue is still very problematic..in fact, I had a user reply to the automatically generated email that it wasn't working just last week.

Thank you for backing me up on this.

I find it shocking how little the interest is in getting this fixed. I've not been contacted by one of the MyBB devs neither did they even reply to this topic. Zero interest to help it seems. Sad   Just like in your thread and the one of the other guy.
(2015-12-14, 05:01 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: [ -> ]I've not been contacted by one of the MyBB devs neither did they even reply to this topic. Zero interest to help it seems. Sad   Just like in your thread and the one of the other guy.
There have been numerous similar reports in the past years. However whenever we tried to reproduce the issue resetting the password worked fine. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do unless somebody is able to point out what's wrong.
Consider your host if, it helped a lot for the same issue.
(2015-12-14, 06:06 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-14, 05:01 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: [ -> ]I've not been contacted by one of the MyBB devs neither did they even reply to this topic. Zero interest to help it seems. Sad   Just like in your thread and the one of the other guy.
There have been numerous similar reports in the past years. However whenever we tried to reproduce the issue resetting the password worked fine. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do unless somebody is able to point out what's wrong.

Hello Stefan,

One of our members pointed something out but I wasn't sure what they meant.

Can you look at it here: https://freevps.us/thread-17371-post-195...#pid195615 ?

As far as I understood the login function differs from the password reset function in terms of password hashing. So as I understood one of the functions is hashing the password wrong and therefore login is not possible as the hashes aren't matching.

(2015-12-14, 08:30 PM)DevilHorns333 Wrote: [ -> ]Consider your host if, it helped a lot for the same issue.

We have our own server that we've setup ourself long ago. We don't use any hosting provider. If that is what you meant. Not sure.
Pages: 1 2