MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Passwords from "Reset Password" not working & mailing issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can you set up a second MyBB installation on the same server, using the same SMTP configuration? If that test will fail you can also install MyBB somewhere else and use these SMTP credentials to isolate the problem.

(2015-12-15, 02:38 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: [ -> ]One of our members pointed something out but I wasn't sure what they meant.

Can you look at it here: https://freevps.us/thread-17371-post-195...#pid195615 ?

As far as I understood the login function differs from the password reset function in terms of password hashing. So as I understood one of the functions is hashing the password wrong and therefore login is not possible as the hashes aren't matching.

The password is being saved correctly - MyBB follows the md5(md5(salt) + md5(password)) scheme everywhere.
(2015-12-15, 03:00 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]Can you set up a second MyBB installation on the same server, using the same SMTP configuration? If that test will fail you can also install MyBB somewhere else and use these SMTP credentials to isolate the problem.

The password is being saved correctly - MyBB follows the md5(md5(salt) + md5(password)) scheme everywhere.

We've already tried Sendgrid, MailGun, MailJet and Elastic Mail. It seems that it got better with Elastic Mail now for issue no. #2. The e-mails are going out and are received even if delayed (I suppose the 3rd party SMTP service is delaying them to prevent service overloading).

We no longer us the internal SMTP that we had installed on the server before. The e-mails with the password reset stuff are coming in and also contain the password. It just does not work like the password was not changed or hashed incorrectly.

I'll be installing a second forum on the same server and a third forum on a different server and test if the password reset function isn't working there either.
bumping this again. I've had 2 emails come through my contact form over the past 2 weeks where users have complained that when trying to reset their password, the code or link that it sends (can't recall which of the 2 as it's been a while since I've seen the email) does not work.
(2016-03-18, 10:48 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]bumping this again.  I've had 2 emails come through my contact form over the past 2 weeks where users have complained that when trying to reset their password, the code or link that it sends (can't recall which of the 2 as it's been a while since I've seen the email) does not work.

i've had emails like this, its not an issue with the site in my case but the members being too impatient for the mail task to run so they do it several times and when all the emails arrive they click on the wrong ones, cycle of annoyance from thereon.  I get emails about it literally every day and it does my nut that people can't just do the reset once and wait the (up to) 10 minutes for my system to send the corresponding email out, then wait potentially another 10 minutes for the email with the password.
(2016-03-21, 09:38 PM)p00lz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-18, 10:48 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]bumping this again. I've had 2 emails come through my contact form over the past 2 weeks where users have complained that when trying to reset their password, the code or link that it sends (can't recall which of the 2 as it's been a while since I've seen the email) does not work.

i've had emails like this, its not an issue with the site in my case but the members being too impatient for the mail task to run so they do it several times and when all the emails arrive they click on the wrong ones, cycle of annoyance from thereon. I get emails about it literally every day and it does my nut that people can't just do the reset once and wait the (up to) 10 minutes for my system to send the corresponding email out, then wait potentially another 10 minutes for the email with the password.

personally I'd say that this needs to be changed because having someone wait until X task runs before the system will mail out a password reset link or whatever is very inefficient. humans, for the most part, are very impatient. not getting a password reset email shortly after submitting it (within a minute or so) will almost likely cause everyone to keep hitting the link...myself included.

that aside, I just had an email come in for this issue again.  the user sent me the email that the forum generated for his account.  I tried logging in with the password it provided without any luck.  I finally just manually reset it for him.
(2016-04-09, 08:09 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-21, 09:38 PM)p00lz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-18, 10:48 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]bumping this again.  I've had 2 emails come through my contact form over the past 2 weeks where users have complained that when trying to reset their password, the code or link that it sends (can't recall which of the 2 as it's been a while since I've seen the email) does not work.

i've had emails like this, its not an issue with the site in my case but the members being too impatient for the mail task to run so they do it several times and when all the emails arrive they click on the wrong ones, cycle of annoyance from thereon.  I get emails about it literally every day and it does my nut that people can't just do the reset once and wait the (up to) 10 minutes for my system to send the corresponding email out, then wait potentially another 10 minutes for the email with the password.

personally I'd say that this needs to be changed because having someone wait until X task runs before the system will mail out a password reset link or whatever is very inefficient.  humans, for the most part, are very impatient.  not getting a password reset email shortly after submitting it (within a minute or so) will almost likely cause everyone to keep hitting the link...myself included.

that aside, I just had an email come in for this issue again.  the user sent me the email that the forum generated for his account.  I tried logging in with the password it provided without any luck.  I finally just manually reset admin password for him.

Yes ,the process always requires a lot of patience but not sloppy, i have an E-mail account, I don't know if the activation link which is sent to the email went up, but i always thought that is in my new account, I waited for 1 days, finally I gave up, but found it when I see my old account recently, after click the show link is invalid,so i have to do it all over again .
^ are you referring to this community forum ? what is your earlier user name ?
you can post at Private Inquiries section and ask for reviving of your earlier account
I get it reported a lot that password resets don't work properly. I believe there is a bug starting in 1.6x but was never able to pinpoint it so that it replicated and was able to report it.

But I can agree there somewhere, there is a bug and it doesn't work 100% of the time to password reset.

I have to tell members to try 2-3 times before it finally works properly. I don't know why this happens and I wish I did.
This, unfortunately still happens even though they get mail with a new password it doesn't work.
Pages: 1 2