MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need to upgrade from 1.6.14 to 1.8.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all. I created a myBB message board back in 2014 and my version is 1.6.14. I'm getting the message that I need to upgrade to 1.8.6. It's my understanding that doing this upgrade is basically going to blow away the theme and layout of my old board and I'm going to have to pick a new theme and basically set everything back up the way I wanted it before. Pick a new theme that won't be exactly like my old one was....Have to re add logos....change colors around to my liking. Is that really how this is? Every time a new version comes out you basically have to recreate your message board from the ground up? I see 2.0 is in the works. I'm going to upgrade to 1.8.6 and then turn around and have to do everything over AGAIN when 2.0 comes out in the near future?
It might be wise for you to code your own MyBB theme since most of the offerings we have aren't great or don't work properly with 1.8.6.
Unfortunately you will might be doing same when 2.0 released... :/
MyBB 1.6.x version is no longer supported.
its better to upgrade your forum to latest available version (1.8.6) & install and use a compatible theme

see also MyBB upgrading guidance
Thanks for the replies. If I upgrade to 1.8.6 how much longer is it expected to be supported? Whats the ETA on 2.0?

Might it just be better to stay on 1.6.14 at this point and wait for 2.0? I understand its not supported any more but unless there's some major security vulnerabilities I'm inclined to stay with it for the time being.
i don't think there is an ETA for 2.0 yet. you should upgrade to 2.8.6, but it's really up to you. you will need to install new themes and plugins as not all 1.6 plugins are working on 1.8.
Edit: delayed response

there is no ETA of MyBB 2.0 ; MyBB 1.8.x will be supported for approx one year after the release of MyBB 2.0
So I can carry over the sql database right? When I upgrade to the new board it still keeps the same forum structure of my old board? Just the theme and appearance of the board need to be redone?

Apologize if these are silly questions, but I really don't know what I'm doing. lol
get a backup from your database via Admin CP or via phpMyAdmin or a dump from your host. also, take a good read here first before upgrading-> http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/
Is it possible to setup a new version of the mybb board offline and then upload over my current board when I have it set up the way I want it?
have you consider create a sub-domain on your control panel and install mybb there? e.g. your currently domain and forum with mybb 1.4, www.example.com -> www.testnewforum.example.com sub-domain with a fresh 1.8 mybb installation

or just try it on some free web hosting.
Pages: 1 2