MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: ACP settings should override UCP settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If admins of a board decide that their board is best usable with one specific setting there should be no possibility to override settings via User CP.

e.g. if you want to present your board in classic post view, why should the user be able to choose the other view instead? When you have a default- and a musthave-setting then there would be no trouble for non technical admins to force the look they want to have. The would just choose the setting as musthave and hop along. Now they have to search for answers why some users still seem to have a wrong setting. And if they find out, it es still not possible for them to change that.

A admin should have full control of his board.
A thread for this already exists

http://community.mybb.com/thread-40093.html
This is a tutorial for finding a work around for this explicit problem. Why find a work around for this if you can make acp settings superior? And what about all the other settings that can be overridden by User CP?

And I too know how to re-program the whole mybb if I want - but I do not think that it is the right answer.
Spamming ACP with default and forced settings would be counterintuitive, I'd prefer to run the query in phpMyAdmin instead of dealing with the mess. However, I don't see anything against extending settings to have force options, e.g.:
Force classic postbit for every user
Force horizontal postbit for every user
Set classic postbit as default
Set horizontal postbit as default
It wouldn't require many code changes either.
wow this is running against personal freedom LOL

UCP should override the ACP if the option is available to users.

SO why the bait and switch, thats just NOT proper software design
I'd like the option to force one postbit or the other (without using a SQL query) and disable the choice to switch it. I mean it doesn't have to be used if that admin doesn't want, but would make life easier for those that do.

Expat,
the only thing about that though is some themes may not be designed for the horizontal postbit so they're a horrendous mess and/or unusable. (Parts of the postbit covering up other aspects, etc...) And fixing that kind of a mess could be quite difficult. Especially since many people either don't know how, don't have time to mess with it or are otherwise unable to.

Though for the personal freedom bit, that's kind of an illusion anyway. I mean sure users can change it, but if the admin really wants to they can disable the option to toggle it (by removing it from the UCP) and then forcing the postbit they want through PHPmyAdmin. All this is asking is to give admins the power to skip rooting through code (and risking breaking things in the process) to do what they want.

Also, proper software design is focused on the end user yes... but the end user isn't the members who join a site. The end user in this case is the admins. They're the ones who pick which software to use, what mods to install, what theme to install, etc...
(2016-03-15, 03:54 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Spamming ACP with default and forced settings would be counterintuitive, I'd prefer to run the query in phpMyAdmin instead of dealing with the mess. However, I don't see anything against extending settings to have force options, e.g.:
Force classic postbit for every user
Force horizontal postbit for every user
Set classic postbit as default
Set horizontal postbit as default
It wouldn't require many code changes either.

Better than nothing I think. But if there is a force options block I think it will grow after the time because there will be the need for admins to have control over feature xyz that is not in the force options block. (I only talk about technical options. Like the postbit thing or usage of the editor source view and things like that...)

Like VirusZero said, the admin is the end user of mybb. Nobody likes to install a software that is in control of other people. I think the option to change board settings via UCP is a nice feature - but if the user gets more control over the software than the board owner has there is something wrong. Smile
I'm not sure what do you mean by growing, this exemplary setting definitely wouldn't grow if it existed in 2.0 in the first place, because 2 styles would be enough. Well, I assume you mean additional choices per setting, but then I don't know how exactly you'd solve it - definitely not with having 5 additional separate force settings, one per choice, as suggested in the first post.
(2016-03-16, 12:54 AM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]wow this is running against personal freedom LOL

UCP should override the ACP if the option is available to users.

SO why the bait and switch, thats just NOT proper software design

personal freedom....on a private forum?!

some people pay to have their themes designed in a specific manner. like it was already mentioned in this thread, my theme was built to use the old postbit layout because it just looks so much better, imho. having to maintain two layouts can be a headache, and it can get expensive if you're paying someone to help manage the themes.
hahah i restrict to one theme and only allow color changes Toungue
Pages: 1 2