MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disrespect?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys

Joined to ask this important question (important to me). Now I have experience in php and have implemented mybb to save months of hard work. I read I was allowed to remove mybb branding at tge cost of loss of support.
I wanted to know if this was at all disrespectful to you guys, I understand the effort you guys have put in and I can see the dedication. If not for your open source codes, I would be screwed (I scratched my head for 48 hours straight thinking of a business idea). 
I admire the work you have done and intend for no disrespect at all, I just thought my site would be harder to launch with the branding there..

I just wanted to know if it's acceptable by your community to do so without being shunned. However, I would also like to express that without your site, I would not be able to be where I am at this time. So I do appreciate everything you all have done.
Also if your not too concerned by this, would I be able to donate for support if need be? (I probably won't need the support because of Google) But I think it would be considered a token of appreciation (when I get back on my feet of course).

Thanks guys!
P.s. work on MyBB Premium or something because my god your coders have a head on their shoulders! :3
Well you can do it at any time.
Sure it might seem quite disrespectful since there are big companies that still allow the branding be intact.

But on the other half, its open source and you're pretty much free to do anything you wish.
Oh? I mean it's not like im trying to offend :/ and I really would like to show my appreciation (even if I brand it later or a donation when I can afford it) hell I even have put my account in negative to pay for the domain name haha >.< But I really would like a staffs input as well because well yea

(2016-05-09, 04:30 PM)Madtrippin Wrote: [ -> ]Well you can do it at any time.
Sure it might seem quite disrespectful since there are big companies that still allow the branding be intact.

But on the other half, its open source and you're pretty much free to do anything you wish.

Did you mean remove branding any time or donate at any time? Cause it was one of the things I did first. And lets be honest, having a big company is a pipe dream for me lol
(2016-05-09, 04:33 PM)izakgewdrick Wrote: [ -> ]Oh? I mean it's not like im trying to offend :/ and I really would like to show my appreciation (even if I brand it later or a donation when I can afford it) hell I even have put my account in negative to pay for the domain name haha >.< But I really would like a staffs input as well because well yea

(2016-05-09, 04:30 PM)Madtrippin Wrote: [ -> ]Well you can do it at any time.

Did you mean remove branding any time or donate at any time? Cause it was one of the things I did first. And lets be honest, having a big company is a pipe dream for me lol

Damn, that was one poor reply that I did there.
I expressed myself extremely bad.

Well, I just meant there's no need for donation's,sure if you wish to do it no one can stop you.
But what i wanted to say is that there are companies quite big that handle their community's with MyBB forum platforms, and they don't remove the branding.

Its not that bad, people don't really care about it pretty much.
But the decision its yours, and don't be afraid to do it.

You can remove the branding without any fear.

Have a nice day Big Grin
if you do not need the support then branding can be removed.
at present we are unable to accept donations and we do not have brand removal facility through donations.
Thanks M! And thanks tripper.
Although I do not require support, the fact that you do not accept donations or have paid brand removal has me pondering my morales :/ If its ok by M and the staff here, I'd like to put your branding on my site but elsewhere (as I used your copyright and year command thingy cause im nub asf) To show my gratitude

Or if I post the footer code, maybe someone could rework it to have mybb branding as well? I'm not doing this for the support, just to show my appreciation. Smile
Hi izakgewdrick,

Generally speaking, you're welcome to change the "Powered By" line as you wish, as long as it is not intentionally deceptive or deceitful (which is not what you're going for!), and links to mybb.com. I doubt we'll have any problems with you, since you're actively considering the work involved in the project. If there is a problem, we'll get in touch with you and will work it out. If you have any specific questions about what is acceptable or not (i.e. concepts/mock-ups), feel free to PM me with the relevant information, and I can let you know.

Problems ultimately arise when people don't have any desire to acknowledge the work put into the project. That's when the Support Eligibility Policy rule really comes into play.
(2016-05-10, 04:10 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]Hi izakgewdrick,

Generally speaking, you're welcome to change the "Powered By" line as you wish, as long as it is not intentionally deceptive or deceitful (which is not what you're going for!), and links to mybb.com. I doubt we'll have any problems with you, since you're actively considering the work involved in the project. If there is a problem, we'll get in touch with you and will work it out. If you have any specific questions about what is acceptable or not (i.e. concepts/mock-ups), feel free to PM me with the relevant information, and I can let you know.

Problems ultimately arise when people don't have any desire to acknowledge the work put into the project. That's when the Support Eligibility Policy rule really comes into play.

Is it possible to have another line in similar to powered by mybb? Like I said I dont need the support as many other members have already asked similar questions, I merely want something like "Contributed by MyBB" or "Inspired by MyBB" (Something not so mainstream) , like I said it's to show my appreciation and gratitude.  I can see the difficulties in php and mysql coding, (refer to www.thesimpsonsforum.com/test/test/index.php ) as my first forum script ( and hopefully not my last). So that may help you show my understanding of the complexity in which you all have compiled so very neatly. I can't seem to select the content on my phone anymore (and the options buttons in one of the mods is now not working, bye bye purple admin cp lol) but here is an imgur link of the footer. If someone could add the mybb part for me would save some noodle scratching :p http://imgur.com/TUo9f7l  . As mentioned, you should probably have a donations section or something because any coder would contribute if they could IMHO. Thanks guys! Love your work!!
well, before <!-- End powered by --> you can add code like below
<a href="http://www.mybb.com" target="_blank">forum SW Developed by MyBB Group</a>

MikeInToshx

Quote:I just thought my site would be harder to launch with the branding there..

How so? And why is the powered by Mybb in any means a negative thing?
Pages: 1 2