MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A few technical questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1: How could you know a certain page, suppose portal, is using how many sql queries?

2: If I make the Log In link a pop-up will it be stopped by pop-up killers installed on some machines since it would be a click-upon pop-up rather than an automatic one.

3: A 300-member forum with at least 50 visiting daily and 25 online simultaneously, will consume what amount of bandwidth? It uses very few graphics and is currently 10mb in size. I currently have 25GB bandwidth at my disposal.

4: How member rating system works? I have seen that one person rated 4 stars twice, is shown 4 stars out of 5. On the other hand, one member rated 5 once, is shown as 5 out of 5. In fact if we count individual stars, than the first guy has got 8 stars in total whereas the second has only 5.
To 4: It's an average of the stars
Quote:2: If I make the Log In link a pop-up will it be stopped by pop-up killers installed on some machines since it would be a click-upon pop-up rather than an automatic one.
No the pop-up shouldn't be blocked as it is basically an authorized popup made by the user.

Quote:3: A 300-member forum with at least 50 visiting daily and 25 online simultaneously, will consume what amount of bandwidth? It uses very few graphics and is currently 10mb in size. I currently have 25GB bandwidth at my disposal.

Bandwidth consists of many things and is impossible to tell how much bandwidth will be consummed. Also 25GB is plenty of bandwidth, as bandwidth is reset every month.
1) Should be at the bottom of the page if you are admin.
2) I think if it's a normal link like <a href=""> target="_blank">text</a> then it should be ok.
Some popup killers will stop all popups, but you should be okay, as they also usually also show an "Open blocked popup ..." link anyway. Remember to make sure your users refresh after logging.

If you use the method decswxaqz suggested, it will work, but you cant set options such as popup size with that, it will just be the users' system defaults.

Edit: typo
25GB should be more than enough, our high activity forums (which also have a lot of flash files / movie clips / pictures) used 21GB in March, so I don't think you have much to worry about Smile

Quote:Posts: 17344
Threads: 1455
Members: 734
[attachment=661]

James Smile
I used 5.5GB bandwidth in March 2005.

[Image: stats.png]