MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: restoring forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Im planning on purchasing a server, which has phpmyadmin installed. (the new server has loadsa other features, something im transfering to)

However, the forum i have at the moment doesnt have these facilites. Im guessing to download a back up from my forum's CP and uploading that to the new servers phpmyadmin.

Would this work?
Yes. Also upload your files again. Wink
If you're going to move to a new server and you're going to store you MySQL databases on there, be sure to change your inc/config.php file to the proper information.
how do you, i have a back-up of that. like a recent version, which i use when i upgrade. Is that right?
You should take the latest backup of your files and database before you move so that you don't lose any new posts/threads after you upgraded last. You can install phpMyAdmin yourself on your old host. Just go to www.phpmyadmin.net and follow the instructions here.

Once you have a backup of your files and database, upload your files to your new host, and edit the inc/config.php to reflect the new MySQL information for the new host. Then use phpMyAdmin to restore the database backup you have.

Personally I recommend using phpMyAdmin to backup your database.
how do you mean, to edit the config file. What would i need to do?
Open inc/config.php in a text editor like Wordpad or Crimson Editor (try to avoid Notepad). You'll need to edit the following lines if your MySQL information on your new host is different from your old host
$config['hostname'] = 'localhost';
$config['username'] = 'mysql-username';
$config['password'] = 'mysql-password';
$config['database'] = 'database-name';

See [wiki]inc/config.php[/wiki]
done all that, however...my phpmyadmin is not letting me use the back up...it does it then i get this error:

Error
SQL query:

-- MyBB Database Backup
-- Generated: 30th May 2007 at 09:12
-- -------------------------------------
CREATE TABLE mybb_adminlog (

uid int( 10 ) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
dateline bigint( 30 ) NOT NULL default '0',
scriptname varchar( 50 ) NOT NULL default '',
action varchar( 50 ) NOT NULL default '',
querystring varchar( 150 ) NOT NULL default '',
ipaddress varchar( 50 ) NOT NULL default ''
) TYPE = MYISAM ;

MySQL said:

#1050 - Table 'mybb_adminlog' already exists
DROP TABLE mybb_adminlog;

run that if your trying to restore a backup
done!! My mistake, should have restored first then installed the new files.

Just one more thing. How come the forum doesnt remember passwords or accept logins on http://domain.com but everything is fine on http://www.domain.com?
Pages: 1 2