MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I convert make a theme mobile friendly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am designing a custom theme for MyBB and have some skills in web design and am using the default as a base (developing on localhost so can''t give you a link) and am trying to make the theme mobile friendly. What changes do I need to make?
Responsive.

Use bootstrap.

Should work fine on a mobile then.
(2016-08-04, 05:49 PM)Ariana Wrote: [ -> ]Responsive.

Use bootstrap.

Bootstrap is not the only option, it has lots of limitations as well.
People can code theme based on media queries and user agent strings as well which i feel is better.
(2016-08-04, 05:53 PM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-04, 05:49 PM)Ariana Wrote: [ -> ]Responsive.

Use bootstrap.

Bootstrap is not the only option, it has lots of limitations as well.
People can code theme based on media queries and user agent strings as well which i feel is better.

Using a theme based on Bootstrap as a starting point has been a life-changer for me. Really makes theme customization infinitely more accessible to beginner devs.
I agree with WallBB.

I personally dislike bootstrap and would suggest that you don't use it.

Writing your own code with media queries is the way to go.
(2016-08-05, 03:20 AM)NickGHQ Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with WallBB.

Why?
It's mostly not that great because it's large and includes lots of things most people don't use. The same reason jQuery has better alternatives.

I'd suggest getting familiar with a lightweight grid, something like this: http://thisisdallas.github.io/Simple-Grid/

Using that (And swapping out the tables where necessary) alongside some custom media queries should get you a good responsive setup.

If you have a custom build of bootstrap though it's probably not a bad option.
(2016-08-05, 04:06 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]

Why?
For me, I won't say I don't like bootstrap but I just not prefer to use it. One of the biggest disadvantage is speed where google counts speed as a very big factor in website ranking. Most of the time when bootstrap is not skimmed to user requirements, people end up calling complete Bootstrap package from CDN with lots of classed which everyone won't use.
In MyBB 2.0, there will be SASS support but bootstrap doesn't support it.

In most of the cases, I will use either media queries or user agent strings for theme.
It is my opinion. Smile
I do like bootstrap concept though for faster web development.
If you are looking for something in a hurry, rather buy a theme off the shelve. If you want to build it yourself, depending on your skill level and experience, you need at least two months to build, test and refine the theme. There's literally hundreds of templates that need editing for a project like this.
(2016-08-05, 04:06 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]

Why?

I messed around with using bootstrap in a theme and found that I'm not using a lot of things included with it. I ended up writing more of my own code than actually using the stuff that was included.

Overall I just found it easier and more "pleasing" to write everything myself, could just be a bit of OCD I guess.

Not trying to bash bootstrap, I can see its uses. The modals included with bootstrap are pretty nice as well.
Pages: 1 2 3