MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need Opinions on this Concept
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What do you guys think of this idea?

(username "Devixx" as the Commenter)
[Image: jtkcUIb.png]
(username "Susano" as the regular member)

Basically, I'm putting together what I hope will be the "Ultimate General Discussion Forum". It won't focus on any one topic specifically like most "general discussion, but also gaming, or also hacking" forums do. With us, we'll have nothing but general discussion boards and you'll never see us focus on any one topic as our "main forum topic" . I was thinking of some unique features that would separate us from other forums, and also just make our forum nicer in general and I came up with this.

Basically what it is, is the ability to sign up as a "Commenter" , will probably come up with a better name eventually but yeah. When you go to register you'll have too sides on one block. The left side will be the "Regular Member Registration", then the right side will be the "Commenter" registration. You'll also be able to change your regular profile into a Commenter profile if you ever choose to go that route. 

The Commenters have no Profile Stars, Userbar, Post count, Reputation, Awards, Post Count, etc. Might have a Join Date but that's about all. 

I'm still deciding if I'll make them be able to create threads or not but as of right now they're just going to be mostly about commenting on threads instead of making them. 

They'll get to upload a Profile Picture, and change it whenever they want. They'll get to choose a username for themselves that regular members can't use unless the commenter changes their username. They'll have access to a really stripped down UserCP, which will only offer the options to
  • Change their Password
  • Change their Avatar
  • Change their Username
  • Revert to Regular Profile
  • Delete Profile
and that is all. They'll all have the same username color so they stand out a bit. Regular users will be able to Quote them and all that. They'll also have access to PM's. 

Just wanted to see opinions on this, to see if I should go for getting it coded or not. If enough people think it's a neat idea I'll get it made. The idea came from me thinking of Reddit for some reason, as well as Blogs and stuff.

Let me know what you all think!
I don't see this succeeding. There has to be something central of interest that binds members. Why would somebody want to be a commentator as opposed to a regular user ? If you say you are modelling this after reddit (which i know nothing about) what would drive people to come to your forum, rather than just going to reddit ?
(2016-08-16, 09:42 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see this succeeding. There has to be something central of interest that binds members. Why would somebody want to be a commentator as opposed to a regular user ? If you say you are modelling this after reddit (which i know nothing about) what would drive people to come to your forum, rather than just going to reddit ?
(2016-08-16, 09:42 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see this succeeding. There has to be something central of interest that binds members. Why would somebody want to be a commentator as opposed to a regular user ? If you say you are modelling this after reddit (which i know nothing about) what would drive people to come to your forum, rather than just going to reddit ?

Well I myself don't use reddit nor do I know much about it, I've just been on there a couple of times and I've seen how the layout is to people responding to things. It isn't exactly similar but yeah. I know a lot of cases people don't like registering on new forums, but some people do just to see how it goes along. The commenter membership would make that more simple by far.

Then as far as "Why would somebody want to be a commentator as opposed to a regular user ?" I myself use forums like HackForums, ForumKorner, etc, but I don't really use any of the features they offer. I just go on there to ask questions, and sometimes comment my opinion on things. Some people take being a part of certain forums seriously, (regular members) and then some just come by to say a few things and thats all, or sort of lurk (commenters/commentators). 

"what would drive people to come to your forum, rather than just going to reddit" some people prefer to use forums versus something like reddit, I myself am one of those people. The purpose of this is just to bring something different to those who prefer Forums.
OK, if you have a vision and a plan, then you must make it happen. Good luck with the forum.
(2016-08-16, 10:20 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]OK, if you have a vision and a plan, then you must make it happen. Good luck with the forum.

Thank you  Big Grin
I don't really understand the purpose of this. Can you explain what the advantage of having two different kinds of accounts is? And why you expect a general discussion forum of this nature will succeed when there are many gigantic players already entrenched in those topics?

You can't start with just deciding what you want to do and then working backwards to justify it. Try to think about the value you're offering or the problem you're solving in honest terms.
(2016-08-16, 11:33 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really understand the purpose of this. Can you explain what the advantage of having two different kinds of accounts is? And why you expect a general discussion forum of this nature will succeed when there are many gigantic players already entrenched in those topics?

You can't start with just deciding what you want to do and then working backwards to justify it. Try to think about the value you're offering or the problem you're solving in honest terms.

Gigantic Players? Which do you speak of? To my knowledge there aren't any general discussion forums that are actually really big. I'm not talking about forums like HackForums that has general areas but is focused on hacking, or ForumKorner which has general areas but is focused on gaming. I know there's a few "general" boards that get made and a few that are pretty small but growing, but I do indeed plan on buying all those out eventually.

What do you mean by "You can't start with just deciding what you want to do and then working backwards to justify it." All this is, is a concept. I haven't completely figured out how I'll operate this yet but I figured I'd see if people thought it could potentially be a nice feature to be worked on. I believe I am thinking about the value in "honest terms" am I not?

The overall purpose for this, is to sort of separate the Active Dedicated members, and those who would just like to comment every now and then but have no interest in being a full member of the community, or just don't use the forum enough to be a "full member". I expect it to succeed because having a negative attitude when starting something won't help at all.
I like the idea in terms of showing guest post and specific quotes to that post inline. It might look really good, I feel it can be used to make quotation better. I got a really nice idea related to quote from this one.

Thanks Kioshi Smile
(2016-08-17, 02:24 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]I like the idea in terms of showing guest post and specific quotes to that post inline. It might look really good, I feel it can be used to make quotation better. I got a really nice idea related to quote from this one.

Thanks Kioshi Smile

Yeah, I was thinking it could be like Guest posts except you can have a set username and a profile picture if you want. I just need to give this some more thought lol I'm sure It could be a good idea. But Glad I could influence an idea for you, no problem!
Pages: 1 2