MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What chmod should settings.php be?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What chmod should settings.php be? 666?
Why not trying it out before starting a thread or doing a search ?
Couldn't be more than 2 possibilities. 666 or 777.
Trying it out? I did... And I did a serach... 121 pages of results. A simple answer would be helpful. Thanks.
MyBB has a WIKI page too. And mine is 777.
It can be either 666 or 777 as LeX- stated in the first reply.
asusreviews.com Wrote:Trying it out? I did... And I did a serach... 121 pages of results. A simple answer would be helpful. Thanks.
In that case you could try actually reading a few of the results instead of being lazy and starting a new thread.

As pointed out by Lex, there is a wiki available.

Also, the documentation that comes with the download clearly states either 666 or 777.
I did try and read a few of the results. But there were 121 pages of results when I searched for index.php chmod. I don't know what in the world is all up with you guys. I join the forums, ask a question, and I get harassed for doing so. If you don't have something positive to contribute, don't contribute at all.

So now my question would be what is more secure 666 or 777. What are the pros and cons of each...
From the wiki:
Quote:Setting files to 777 will provide read/write/execute access to any user of the server, which may be a security risk, but provides the least troublesome install and operation. You can usually give 666 access to files.

Basically if you're concerned with security, use the smallest number possible which will give your server permission to write to the file. Usually this is 666, but some servers may be content with 644. If 666 doesn't work, try 777. There aren't any major "pros" or "cons" for either of them. The main point is to find one that works Smile
Here the link to the page in the wiki if you need it Wink

http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/CHMOD_Files
asusreviews.com Wrote:I did try and read a few of the results. But there were 121 pages of results when I searched for index.php chmod. I don't know what in the world is all up with you guys. I join the forums, ask a question, and I get harassed for doing so. If you don't have something positive to contribute, don't contribute at all.

So now my question would be what is more secure 666 or 777. What are the pros and cons of each...

No one's harassing you, just pointing out that we obviously don't expect you to go through all 121 pages, but at least look through the first few pages before asking the question. It would save up the time having to help you, which allows us to do other things (such as work on MyBB 1.4).
Pages: 1 2