MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Coppa...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
labrocca Wrote:
Galen Wrote:You're worried over nothing, dude. I outright refuse to comply with COPPA. So do many other sites. You're not gonna get in trouble, cuz nobody actually cares Smile

You may very well be right. But as a parent..I care and I certainly know that other parents care too. Just because it's a bad law doesn't mean the intent was bad.
Well this is some thing i would find good to have. and labrocca is right some parents care about this i know a number of them. (friends parents)
OK - if we get this implemented in 1.4, how do you want it to be structured? Several other boards have varying solutions and I'm not quite sure of the best way of implementing it.

If we get the implementation sorted out, we'll get it in MyBB 1.4.
I would like to see a basic language entry and a setting in admincp to turn on or off.

Most COPPA forum setups are simple.

1. Member clicks Register
2. Member gets Coppa form with 2 options.
a. Over 13 you can join and go to the signup form.
b. Under 13 and you go to a page with the coppa fax signup information.
3. Member gets forum (privacy policy and such) agreement form.

That's about it.
labrocca Wrote:I would like to see a basic language entry and a setting in admincp to turn on or off.

That's about it.

I'd like to add to the above if it's not too late. I'd like to see a third option, where the forum just rejects any applicants that are under the age of 13. I would like to be compliant with COPPA, but I really don't want to have to bother with getting parental consent for any users under this age, and therefore would like to outright deny them registration.

I think it could look like this in the AdminCP:
AdminCP -> Board Settings -> User Registration and Profile Options
COPPA Compliance
                                                                       Enable COPPA Check
COPPA Compliance Level                                                 Enable COPPA Age Check but deny users age < 13
                                                                       Disable COPPA Check
Blue Wrote:
labrocca Wrote:I would like to see a basic language entry and a setting in admincp to turn on or off.

That's about it.

I'd like to add to the above if it's not too late. I'd like to see a third option, where the forum just rejects any applicants that are under the age of 13. I would like to be compliant with COPPA, but I really don't want to have to bother with getting parental consent for any users under this age, and therefore would like to outright deny them registration.

I think it could look like this in the AdminCP:
COPPA Compliance
                                                                       Enable COPPA Check
COPPA Compliance Level                                                 Enable COPPA but deny users age < 13
                                                                       Disable COPPA Check
Yes that would be very good to have Smile
But if you deny anyone under 13 registration then you don't need COPPA at all.
labrocca Wrote:But if you deny anyone under 13 registration then you don't need COPPA at all.

You would, actually, if only the age checking part. The way MyBB is set up, it doesn't require a user to enter an age to sign up. Therefore, it never checks to see if anyone under 13 is registering. I'd like it to ask, and prevent anyone under 13.
Blue Wrote:
labrocca Wrote:But if you deny anyone under 13 registration then you don't need COPPA at all.

You would, actually, if only the age checking part. The way MyBB is set up, it doesn't require a user to enter an age to sign up. Therefore, it never checks to see if anyone under 13 is registering. I'd like it to ask, and prevent anyone under 13.

I understand that but it has nothing to do with COPPA really. It's a seperate matter. If you don't allow anyone under 13 to register..then you don't need a COPPA agreement at all.
labrocca Wrote:
Blue Wrote:

I understand that but it has nothing to do with COPPA really. It's a seperate matter. If you don't allow anyone under 13 to register..then you don't need a COPPA agreement at all.

Do you seriously think it warrants a separate category and setting? I don't. It's a simple thing, and you wouldn't have the COPPA check and denying users < 13, so the settings in that group all offer alternatives to the way users are allowed registration. Most people don't want to have to bother with the annoyance of having to deal with parental consent, but still would like to follow the law. Therefore, this is essential to them.

Fine, if it really is that big of deal to you, then it can be set up like this in the AdminCP:

Age Check
                                                                       Enable COPPA Check
User Registration Age Checking                                         Deny users age < 13
                                                                       Disable Age Check

Happy?
Actually, I just had a young drummer join the other day. At the time I remember wanting this feature. Great to see it getting added.

If we do this then we are forcing age to be given also as a required field?
Pages: 1 2 3 4