MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the end-of-life plan for MyBB 1.8?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
There are quite a few reasons why people do not like MyBB 2.0: For these reasons  quite a few people will want to stay with 1.8 even after the 2.0 release.
So the question is whether they can rely on MyBB for the foreseeable future or have to start to look which board software they soon have to migrate to.

Thus an official statement on these things would be helpful:
  • What is the end-of-life plan for MyBB 1.8?
  • Will bug fixes and security patches for 1.8 stop after 2.0 release?
  • Will there be long term support (LTS) for 1.8?
MyBB 2.0 is far from finished. Everything you see now can change.

Quote:many modal dialogs - annoying especially on mobile devices

I'm sure it the theme will be extensively tested on multiple devices to ensure the best UX.

Quote:much client-side javascript - bogs down browsers

I count ~1K lines of JS currently. That's really not much at all. It's not how much anyway, it's how optimized the code is. Take a look at vB5 for an example of an application with way too much Javascript.

Quote:no modern threaded mode like people are used from Reddit and other social media

Personally I don't like that style, but I haven't seen any demand for it either. Most forums regardless of the software use a linear style post listing. I certainly wouldn't put that down as a reason for anyone to not like MyBB 2.0; most people are happy with 1.8 and if anything we've seen people would rather stick to 1.8 because of how much will change already.

It's way too early to say what people think of MyBB 2.0 because it isn't complete or stable, it's subject to change, and only a handful of people have actually tried it.

1.8 will still receive bug fixes for a period of time after 2.0 is released. This is usually 6 months, but may be longer as it's a major release. After that time, MyBB 1.8 will only receive security patches for a period of time. It will be enough time for people to upgrade to 2.0 with minimal difficulty.
(2016-10-07, 12:46 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0 is far from finished. Everything you see now can change.
1.8 will still receive bug fixes for a period of time after 2.0 is released. This is usually 6 months, but may be longer as it's a major release. After that time, MyBB 1.8 will only receive security patches for a period of time. It will be enough time for people to upgrade to 2.0 with minimal difficulty.
That is good.
Then a 2.0 release will be far from imminent and there will be no need for a hasty migration.

(2016-10-07, 12:46 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Take a look at vB5 for an example of an application with way too much Javascript.
Good you are aware of that problem. It sucks when the broswer becomes sluggish if a few tabs are open.

(2016-10-07, 12:46 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]... I haven't seen any demand for it [modern threaded mode] either. Most forums regardless of the software use a linear style post listing. I certainly wouldn't put that down as a reason for anyone to not like MyBB 2.0

Big problem is that the young people just do not use classical linear forums. It's no fun to them.
They are accustomed to another style.
So it's necessary to adapt to this. Not doing so results in unnecessarily reduced acceptance.
Quote:Big problem is that the young people just do not use classical linear forums. It's no fun to them.
This is actually the reason we bothered to install MyBB. None of us like the reddit style. So we opted for a forum instead of a reddit page. This is coming from a small group of python programmers mostly ages 18-30. 

For the amount of work it took to install a ton of plugins and modify code here and there....it seems like it would be a nightmare to do it all over again, just to upgrade. I would rather just stick with it as far as i can. And a lot of the plugins have to be modified to even work on 1.8 still. Some dont work at all. And very few seem to be added (or so far) into the core of 2.0. That would mean that hardly any (if any) would work in 2.0.
It is important to remember that MyBB 2 will not be a parallel product - while we'll completely abandon the current code (and there's a good reason for it), it's going to put together present functionality with suggestions and concepts that the MyBB Community has been providing for more than 10 years but for some reason we weren't able to implement. Whatever your concerns about 2.0 are, it will be much more customizable than 1.8 is.
The end-of-life dates or estimations will be announced once theme & plugin development gain traction and we are satisfied with the core's stability, development process and new maintenance procedures - when that happens board administrators should be preparing for an upgrade regardless of the EOL period with the current state of 1.8's security being the main concern, rather than waiting for all extensions to be made available for 2.0.
(2016-10-07, 03:49 AM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]For the amount of work it took to install a ton of plugins and modify code here and there....it seems like it would be a nightmare to do it all over again, just to upgrade. I would rather just stick with it as far as i can. And a lot of the plugins have to be modified to even work on 1.8 still. Some dont work at all. And very few seem to be added (or so far) into the core of 2.0. That would mean that hardly any (if any) would work in 2.0.

2.0 is a complete rewrite. Nothing from 1.8 will work. It's something you'll have to do eventually, and that's why users will be given a reasonable amount of time to upgrade while still receiving fixes and support. It also gives enough time for people to begin developing and releasing plugins and themes for 2.0.
Hi,

(2016-10-06, 11:48 PM)Schrotti Wrote: [ -> ]There are quite a few reasons why people do not like MyBB 2.0:
  • many modal dialogs - annoying especially on mobile devices

If anything, 2.0 will work better on a mobile device than 1.8 due to it using a responsive style. At the minute, there are only 3 or 4 modal dialogs used in the current 2.0 code - one for login/register (optional - this is also a full page that can be opened in a new tab or with JS disabled) another to change your avatar (which again is also a full page that can be accessed without JS) and a couple of others.

2.0 is tested across a range of devices (laptops, desktops, iPads, Android tablets, iPhones, Android phones, and anything else we can get our hands on) to ensure it works well across as many platforms as possible.

(2016-10-06, 11:48 PM)Schrotti Wrote: [ -> ]
  • much client-side javascript - bogs down browsers

Again, at the minute the only real JS used is for the modals and multi quote. Both also work with JS disabled. The line count of JS mentioned in another reply is largely jQuery - a library that I'm currently looking at working without or replacing for something much lighter. All javaScript will be minified and optimised on a live board too to speed up page loads.

(2016-10-06, 11:48 PM)Schrotti Wrote: [ -> ]

The threaded mode is being removed from the core due to popular opinion from users who have provided their feedback and the lack of use of the threaded system currently available in 1.8 (and 1.6 and 1.4 before them).

(2016-10-06, 11:48 PM)Schrotti Wrote: [ -> ]For these reasons  quite a few people will want to stay with 1.8 even after the 2.0 release.
So the question is whether they can rely on MyBB for the foreseeable future or have to start to look which board software they soon have to migrate to.

Thus an official statement on these things would be helpful:
  • What is the end-of-life plan for MyBB 1.8?
  • Will bug fixes and security patches for 1.8 stop after 2.0 release?
  • Will there be long term support (LTS) for 1.8?

While we don't want to announce anything at the minute as we don't have any concrete plans, past versions of MyBB have been supported for at least a year, up to 2 years after the release of a new version (a gold release, not alphas/betas/etc.). During this period there won't be any new features being added, but bug fixes and security fixes will continue to be issued.

We'll also look at community usage and feedback to drive our support plans. If there are still 50% of users using 1.8 after 2.0's release for whatever reason, we will obviously be hesitant to drop support for that very large group of users.
(2016-10-07, 12:17 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 is a complete rewrite. Nothing from 1.8 will work.

Things You Should Never Do, Part I
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/f...00069.html
(2016-10-08, 05:47 PM)mikew Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-07, 12:17 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 is a complete rewrite. Nothing from 1.8 will work.

Ok, good luck updating a codebase with a decade's worth of cruft and bad coding practices. I don't think I've seen any Pull Requests yet, have I?
(2016-10-08, 05:47 PM)mikew Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-07, 12:17 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 is a complete rewrite. Nothing from 1.8 will work.

Quote:They decided to rewrite the code from scratch.

MyBB 2.0 isn't being rewritten from scratch. It's being built upon a tested, stable, and secure framework which has a huge community behind it.
Pages: 1 2 3