MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Nested Replies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I mentioned this in another post.

I noticed this on a forum (Not MyBB)

Replies to a post in a thread are nested inside a drop down toggle vs being quoted throughout the thread.

[Image: fe829827e5031a3ff875e6aa7c29cce6.gif]

This makes posts easier to read while casually scrolling, and visible posts are related to the main topic vs someone replying to a quote.
I've created a plugin for this. It is in the review process. It is active on the threaded view mode of https://forums.woodnet.net/ if you want to see how it looks. I think until it gets approved, you won't be able to see this link, but here is where it will be: https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=829
Test.

Thanks for making it! It is very close to my suggestion, however I've noticed some things that should be tweaked.

Notably:
1. No indent or embedding/nesting on the first post or replies to first post. Only nest replies after the first post.
2. Auto minimize replies to replies.
3. Count the replies to a reply inside the dropdown and show them under replies as in the provided gif.

Something like:

Post #1
Post #2
Post #3
>>>>>>>>>>>>>(Replies: 4)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
----- Post #5
----- Post #6
----- ------ Post #7
----- Post #8
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Post #4
Post #9
>>>>>>>>>>>>>(Replies: 1)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
----- Post #30
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Post #11

Posts inside >>> are replies to posts after Post #1 and can be toggled open or closed. They are closed by default.
@kloddant Anymore progress on this plugin?
Nope, just waiting for approval. No idea how long that usually takes.
(2016-11-01, 04:32 PM)kloddant Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, just waiting for approval.  No idea how long that usually takes.

Okay. What do you think about my post on the changes?
1. If I'm going to be nesting replies, I'd rather be consistent and nest all of them.
2. Nesting level should be an option in the plugin settings. I'll do that.
3. Yes, that would be good.

I'll eventually make changes 2 and 3. Change 1 would be a lot of work for something that I am on the fence about anyway, so I probably will not do that one.
Alright that sounds fine, I appreciate that you're making it at all. Will look forward to seeing progress with this, I understand it's not the simplest request.
No problem. Glad the thing I made can be of use to someone else.
I can't visualize the MyBB pagination working with something like this if a plguin was ever made.
Pages: 1 2 3