MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Trolling in the theme releases forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to make the suggestion that theme creators be given the rights to moderate their own support threads, in the theme releases forum. I want to be able to edit and delete posts in the thread as i see fit. It would be appreciated if other theme developers give their opinion on this here as well.

Edit:

I have just come across this reference to a code of conduct which mentions trolling and the desire to not have it happen:
https://mybb.com/about/conduct/

However, i still see it happening, reporting it, without any appropriate action be taken by the mods.
Quote:... without any appropriate action be taken by the mods.
reported posts are reviewed with required care. some times there is a delay in deciding the action.
I hope my suggestion gets some serious consideration, it would encourage me to continue contributing and providing support which at the end of the day is free, something which is taken for granted. I am well aware that people are more likely to leave a bad review than a good one, but when all you see is comments from trolls or people who seek customisation for free, and then trying to trash talk your thread when they don't get what they want, guess what's going to happen. The person is not going to be interested in contributing and then the community loses out as a result of a few rotten apples.
Quote:I want to make the suggestion that theme creators be given the rights to moderate their own support threads, in the theme releases forum. I want to be able to edit and delete posts in the thread as i see fit.

I don't see any way that won't be heavily abused. Who moderates the moderators? Edit/delete history isn't saved. If you decide to edit someone's post, add a bunch of abusive comments, and then report it, the team won't know if that's what was originally written by the user or edited in by you. Can you imagine how many complaints there would be from users if their posts were being edited and deleted by the thread creator? And how that would affect the community in the long term? By giving thread owners such power it would result in more trolling. There's simply no way the team would allow it.

People have been permanently banned here for doing nothing but trolling and shitposting. If you think someone is trolling, ignore them. Don't respond. If it continues and someone is actively trying to get a reaction out of you, report their post and let the team handle it. If you're still not happy, create a thread in Private Inquiries and discuss the situation with the team.

If you're talking about this...

https://community.mybb.com/thread-205134...pid1249611

...then I think you're getting worked up over nothing. That's not trolling, but you're letting people know you're an easy target.
Actually this thread would be closer to the mark:
https://community.mybb.com/thread-197022.html

The same troll posts cr@p in my support thread the other day. The post was ignored and reported, but nothing came of it. Unfortunately some people read this junk and has a knock on effect when they post.
|Who moderates the moderators?
Moderator comments cannot be deleted.

|Edit/delete history isn't saved.
Why isn't it? Treat is as a soft deletion.

|If you decide to edit someone's post, add a bunch of abusive comments, and then report it, the team won't know if that's what was originally written by the user or edited in by you.
Don't allow editing. Only soft deleting.

Give thread owners the power to delete comments. A moderator notice is given when a comment is deleted. If the comment shouldn't have been deleted the thread owner is warned. If it was a troll, the user is warned. Just an idea
(2016-12-08, 07:43 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually this thread would be closer to the mark:
https://community.mybb.com/thread-197022.html

The same troll posts cr@p in my support thread the other day. The post was ignored and reported, but nothing came of it. Unfortunately some people read this junk and has a knock on effect when they post.

I really wouldn't say this is a widespread problem which requires a custom system to deal with it... It's a social problem which requires a social solution. That isn't even your thread so you wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway, and there's no guarantee the OP would either. If you have a problem with someone, put them on your ignore list or create a thread in Private Inquiries.

(2016-12-08, 07:55 PM)Nuance Wrote: [ -> ]Give thread owners the power to delete comments. A moderator notice is given when a comment is deleted. If the comment shouldn't have been deleted the thread owner is warned. If it was a troll, the user is warned. Just an idea

Being able to censor your own threads won't improve anything. At the end of the day the team would need to review the post anyway, so you might as well just report it. No need to cause more drama by giving too much power to users.
A nice solution would be to ban that particular member (Aoki) - just comes onto the forum to post sh!t every once in awhile.

I don't agree that "censoring" your own threads won't improve anything. A support thread is different to the other randomly created threads, I am not suggesting that all thread starters be able to moderate their threads. Obviously some people take pride in their work and don't want to see trash in their threads. The thread owner is the best judge between constructive criticism and trash.

An alternative may be a loose understanding between support thread owner and mods that when an offending post is reported, to just delete the offending post.
(2016-12-09, 10:17 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]A nice solution would be to ban that particular member (Aoki) - just comes onto the forum to post sh!t every once in awhile.

Looking at their posts I can't see anything which would warrant a ban. But as I said, if you have a problem with someone just put them on your ignore list.

(2016-12-09, 10:17 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't agree that "censoring" your own threads won't improve anything. A support thread is different to the other randomly created threads,

If you give people that power it will be abused, and then people will complain even more. It's not creating a solution, it's creating a bigger problem than the original issue which is purely social.

(2016-12-09, 10:17 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am not suggesting that all thread starters be able to moderate their threads. Obviously some people take pride in their work and don't want to see trash in their threads. The thread owner is the best judge between constructive criticism and trash.

Many, many, many people have difficulty accepting constructive criticism. It's much more appropriate for a neutral party (i.e. a member of the team) to decide whether or not their post is acceptable.

(2016-12-09, 10:17 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]An alternative may be a loose understanding between support thread owner and mods that when an offending post is reported, to just delete the offending post.

I'm not sure what you mean. All reported posts are reviewed (eventually). There's no special treatment for anyone, that's why the team is the best to handle these situations. A lot goes on behind the scenes, even if you can't visibly see any action being taken it doesn't mean the team isn't aware of a certain user's behavior.
Unfortunately putting someone on your ignore list does not prevent them from making trash posts. Aoki is not the only one. Which is why i requested my support threads to be deleted, i won't be offering support on these forums anymore.
Pages: 1 2