MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to Install MyBB 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2017-01-07, 05:34 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]What a joke

(2017-01-07, 06:17 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Not everybody hangs around here for free software. People who make empty promises should rather not contribute to open source.

Sorry, who promised you anything? If you knew anything about the project you'd know it will be "released when it's ready", as always. No promises. Only people working hard for something you'll take for granted. If you don't want to contribute, don't contribute, but that also includes not complaining about something you're getting for free.
Complaining about something being made for free.

Rolleyes
(2017-01-06, 11:49 PM)fallr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-06, 04:35 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-06, 03:41 PM)shahva.khan Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, what command will be used to install through composer?

"composer install", but the current code is aimed at developers.

I remember you said last year was supposed to have released alpha or even beta. Anyway I hope this year is the year. The developer version is not at all functional on VPS.

I would argue that while there was no "official" alpha "release" 2.0 has been in the alpha stages of development ever since we opened up the repos to the outside world.

Let's look at the definition of alpha software:
Quote:Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version. In general, external availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software, while open source software often has publicly available alpha versions. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete.

MyBB 2.0 is: unstable and not recommended for production use, it doesn't contain all planned features, and we have had no feature freeze yet.

Regarding installing it on a VPS, it certainly is possible, otherwise we wouldn't be able to actively develop its features.

MyBB 2.0 was never promised, as Nathan said, for any time. We have aims and internal goals but MyBB development isn't like a 9-5 job. We can't say "this is 1000 hours work, over 5 people, that's 5 weeks". 1000 hours of work could take halfback or twice as long or any amount of time - it just depends when the team have free time to develop and how active the community is at developing the project too.
Also, I never once said definitively that there would be an Alpha release in 2016 - I said that I hoped to get the software to that kind of position, but unfortunately due to time constraints and other commitments that never happened.
We're a open source software and we work in our spare time, feel free to contribute to the project with some PR's fixing/adding new features.
(2017-01-07, 12:02 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I would argue that while there was no "official" alpha "release" 2.0 has been in the alpha stages of development ever since we opened up the repos to the outside world.

Let's look at the definition of alpha software:

No, I'm not sure if you remember there is another general stage prior to alpha, which is the preview stage, which renders your claim invalid.

Proves that show the current mybb 2.0 is not in alpha:
1) There were claims saying that alpha version will have an installer. Basic objective failed based on your claim.
2) Milestone. The current milestone is 80% to alpha stage. 
3) Check this link and see the date, make comparison with the date when repos was opened to the public: https://community.mybb.com/thread-187393...pid1201738

(2017-01-07, 12:02 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding installing it on a VPS, it certainly is possible, otherwise we wouldn't be able to actively develop its features.

I never said it was not possible, only that I wasn't able to do anything other than login and log out. It was quite a while ago, not sure bout now.

(2017-01-07, 12:02 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0 was never promised, as Nathan said, for any time. We have aims and internal goals but MyBB development isn't like a 9-5 job. We can't say "this is 1000 hours work, over 5 people, that's 5 weeks". 1000 hours of work could take halfback or twice as long or any amount of time - it just depends when the team have free time to develop and how active the community is at developing the project too.

We have heard this like a million times, thanks for saying it again.
Let me apologise on behalf of the entire team for not giving up enough of our free time to get the software to a point that reaches your level of satisfaction - I will be handing in my notice to my employer on Monday so I can instead work full time on MyBB (I'm sure I can do without earning any money), and I will encourage the other developers to do the same Smile

That you for your extremely helpful and constructive feedback Smile
(2017-01-07, 01:53 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Let me apologise on behalf of the entire team for not giving up enough of our free time to get the software to a point that reaches your level of satisfaction - I will be handing in my notice to my employer on Monday so I can instead work full time on MyBB (I'm sure I can do without earning any money), and I will encourage the other developers to do the same Smile

That you for your extremely helpful and constructive feedback Smile

Hi, I did not complain and never had. Please correctly identified the pricks. I wasn't giving feedbacks either, I was just arguing with Tom.K for his obviously flawed statement.

(2017-01-07, 01:21 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I never once said definitively that there would be an Alpha release in 2016 - I said that I hoped to get the software to that kind of position, but unfortunately due to time constraints and other commitments that never happened.

https://community.mybb.com/thread-193870...pid1224895

end of third line, beginning of 4th line.
So, you're really sat here pointing out something an unpaid volunteer said like you've been personally promised paid work or something? What point are you trying to make here? People wonder why we struggle to find people to develop MyBB, it's things like getting held to account for things like this that are such an incredible turn off for potential developers and make them wonder why they even bother.
Ah yes, way back in June. Guess what? Plans change. I can't recall seeing any Pull Requests from you to help move things along.
Pages: 1 2 3