MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help! Deleted forum :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

I accidentally deleted my forum folder in FTP. Fortunately I had made a backup of my database.

Is there a way to restore my forum?? Can i just upload the MyBB files and edit some settings so it will make contact again with my database?

I hope you can help me guys, I'm desperate....
Hi DECGEN,

I sorry about your forum, and I think you can just download the original MyBB files and while installing you can connect to the database. You will have to install the theme and edit any custom files all over again. That is what I always believed, you can try that method (hope I am not wrong) or someone else more experience can help.
If you have the backup of you're database all you have to do is go to cpanel then phpmyadmin and import the database, download mybb files again and install the forum again then download mybb merge 1.8.

Read this!
https://mybb.com/download/merge-system/

If you want I can do it for you just PM me.
If you don't have a backup of your files then you've lost uploaded avatars, attachments, plugins, and theme assets.

Step 1. Make regular backups.
Step 2. Don't delete your forum.
(2017-02-01, 09:34 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Step 2. Don't delete your forum.

Lol, definitely remember number 2. Good luck OP!
Thanks everyone!

Dead-I, could you explain what cpanel and phpmyadmin are? Haven't worked with these before. And could you explain me What to do with them?

@nathan malcom, ill do my best not to delete it Next time😂
(2017-02-01, 01:35 PM)DECGEN Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks everyone!

Dead-I, could you explain what cpanel and  phpmyadmin are? Haven't worked with these before. And could you explain me What to do with them?

@nathan malcom, ill do my best not to delete it Next time😂

I can offer some information here.

cpanel and phpmyadmin are the actual databases in the back end of the website. You usually have access to them through the hosting website you bought the webspace from, if they have that feature that is.

I use one.com for example. I can log into my Control Panel at one.com and there is an option for 'mariadb' - which is the link for the phpmyadmin database. This gives me access to the files that mybb uses to store all of the information on your forum, the .php files utilise the database to execute commands and store text, the structure etc.

You can also download the structure and data from the database, but mybb has that option built into it.

You don't need to know much about it, apart from when you install mybb you may have to roll back on the database version (MySQL database version), I think 1.8.10 runs on 7.0 if I recall correctly, I might be wrong. All you have to do is go to your domain hosting providor and log into the control panel there and select the version. You wouldn't have to log in to the database to do that.

When you install mybb, you will need the passwords and username and a few other variables that link mybb to MYSQL phpmyadmin/cpanel - these are usually available in an email the host sent to you when you bought the domain, or in the control panel of your hosting account.

Hope that was of use!
Thank you very very much guys! Really appreciate it! Coming one step closer every time haha Smile 

I got into phpmyadmin, I created a new empty database and clicked to import. Then I tried to import my backup but I got an error... Could some one help me with that haha?

Step 1: empty database
[Image: 2r58dbo.png]

Step 2: import database backup
[Image: 15o8qqh.png]

Step 3: get an error
[Image: 20k7qso.png]
You could also ask your host to restore it, incase they're offering automatic backups. My host does automatic backups weekly.
Just in case you are stuck,

1. Reinstall MyBB

2. Use a blank database to begin with

3. Import the backup database into it

4. Use it with new MyBB files.
Pages: 1 2