MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: spam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
ok..hi..not sure what section this should be in as its a strange situation..im guessing,.#

im a member at http://www.superleaguefans.com/forum/forum-41.html

until recently everything was fine but there has been a massive spam increase in lastb 2 weeks or so....problem is there is no moderation on that forum and the admin seems to be unresponsive..

so....anyone suggest any solutions for us getting rid of the spam??

cheers
Could you contact the forum administrators to offer to help moderate? If the moderators have vanished, or the admins are overloaded, they may be glad of the help?

Failing that, I can't see how any member with no admin privileges could mitigate spam in a forum - you simply don't have the access to toss spam posts or to install plugins to try and stop bot signups.
If you're not an admin or moderator then you physcially have no access or ability to do anything I'm afraid.
there are maybe 20 users max...its not a busy place. there were a couple mods before but long since gone. the admin guy did check in a few months ago but various users have tried to contact him to no avail.

place is totally overloaded with spam.

could i get someone to hack into it??
Just taken a look, first spammer I looked at has 810 posts.. it's a shame to see a forum essentially being abandoned by the owner which seems to be the case here.
(2017-02-07, 02:20 PM)stoatir Wrote: [ -> ]could i get someone to hack into it??

Well, no. We wouldn't leave any vulnerabilities unpatched that allowed that to be possible, otherwise every MyBB forum would also be able to be hacked in the same way.
well yeah im sure ur security is great...just i have a couple friends who might have the skills... would that be a big deal for u??

or couldnt u just clear it out and switch off any auto accept for new profiles?/

u can see how its being spoiled for us.
Quote:just i have a couple friends who might have the skills... would that be a big deal for u??

Knock yourself out, it isn't anything do with us anyway, but by hacking the forum you'd hack the whole site which I'm sure the owner wouldn't be happy with, and is also illegal, so no we wouldn't recommend it but we can't tell you what to do so Smile

Quote:or couldnt u just clear it out and switch off any auto accept for new profiles?/

We have no control whatsoever over any forum other than this one - we simply provide free software for people to install themselves, we don't have access to anything.
(2017-02-07, 02:24 PM)stoatir Wrote: [ -> ]or couldnt u just clear it out and switch off any auto accept for new profiles?/

Who?

The people on this forum are either other users or contributing authors of the MyBB software.

The forum you use isn't hosted or run by anyone on this forum - unless the admin there is a member here, none of us here have any access to the forum at all.
yeah can appreciate the illegality but we are at a dead end and if it bothers the owner , then maybe he should pay more attention to it.

appreciate ur suggestions and replies. thanx.

(2017-02-07, 02:28 PM)JamesOakley Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-07, 02:24 PM)stoatir Wrote: [ -> ]or couldnt u just clear it out and switch off any auto accept for new profiles?/

Who?

The people on this forum are either other users or contributing authors of the MyBB software.

The forum you use isn't hosted or run by anyone on this forum - unless the admin there is a member here, none of us here have any access to the forum at all.

im not very technical so i wasnt aware of that..  i assumed mybb retained a sort of control..  its cool.
Pages: 1 2