MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Busy Server Message
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, sorry if this is a common question that's been asked before.

I'm an administrator for a board that's been up since October of last year. And for the last month or so, during the afternoons when the board is most active, this message comes up from time to time when you try to post:

The maximum server load limit has been reached. Please check back later once the server is less busy

Now, since this message has only started coming up for about a month ago, I've figured that maybe it's because the forum has too many posts on it and it needs to be pruned (as it never has been.)

Here are the forum statistics, if that helps any.
Threads: 1323
Members: 82

So, what can I do to stop that "busy server" message from coming up?
under the Admin Panal-->Server and Optimization Options then scroll down to *NIX Load Limiting and check what number it has 0 it would be server problems. But try changing the number first!
Hmm.. I can't seem to find that option at all on my CP.

Now, I'm not the owner of this board. I'm just one of the Administrators. Is this something that only the main Administrator can do? (Like how regular Admins can't change the "Admin Permissions" section, only the main Admin can.)
Can you get to the board settings page? if so, just do what I toled you abouve if not then your going to have to get your admin to do it.
acp / "Board Settings" / "Server and Optimization Options" / *NIX Load / set to "0" (without quotes)

I just tried to remember this off the top of my head.
Ahh, okay. I was looking for a "Server and Optimizations" sub-section.

I found it under "Board Settings" and changed it to "0" (no quotes.)

So, we'll see if that works.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
I've got another quick question.

What exactly does the *NIX Load do, and what can taking it off the recommended 5.0 setting do? 'Cause I just changed it from 5.0 to 0, and all of a sudden I can't get it to refresh. (I hit refresh, and the load bar at the bottom of the page starting going really slow, then the page went completely blank.)

Edit: Now the board has completely gone down. Sad

Would pruning the board at all lighten the server's load, so that it can be set at 5.0 and still run normally like it used to?

'Cause the only thing that's changed about the board that I know of, is that it has more posts now.
I believe your server that the forum is being hosted on cannot sustain all of the members posting and all of the posts and it has succumbed to its strain. Yes, I believe pruning posts that are 6 months or older should lighten the MySQL load, and also go to:

acp / "Board Settings" / "Server and Optimization Options" / "Use GZip Page Compression?" / Yes

If you haven't already.
WhoGirl Wrote:I've got another quick question.

What exactly does the *NIX Load do, and what can taking it off the recommended 5.0 setting do? 'Cause I just changed it from 5.0 to 0, and all of a sudden I can't get it to refresh. (I hit refresh, and the load bar at the bottom of the page starting going really slow, then the page went completely blank.)

Edit: Now the board has completely gone down. Sad

Would pruning the board at all lighten the server's load, so that it can be set at 5.0 and still run normally like it used to?

'Cause the only thing that's changed about the board that I know of, is that it has more posts now.

I'm not really familiar with the server load, but I think the higher the load is, the more "stuff" the server has to process at the same time. When there's a high load, the server is "bogged down." That's where this error comes in. If the server load is too high (like the server is doing too much), MyBB lightens the load by blocking users from accessing the forum. If you disable this message, then MyBB will continue to load and therefore increase the server load, and MyBB will appear to be very slow or not loading at all.

I hope you understand what I mean.
Yeah, it was set to use the GZip Page Compression.

So, it's probably the fact that there are too many posts on the server.

And now I have another problem.

The forum's clock is all screwed up. It's one hour behind, therefore anyone who posts now has that post logged as being an hour back, so it shows up earlier in the thread.

I've seen that happen on forums before.

Right now, all posts after 3:30 are showing up before one post that was made at that time. So, it should clear that up after 3:30 or so passes, right?

Pages: 1 2